Conservatory - curtains or blinds - what have you got?

(18 Posts)
evrybuddy Thu 31-Dec-15 08:52:51

I'm trying to weigh up whether to have blinds or curtains on our conservatory windows when it's finished.

This is really a night/privacy issue rather than shade from the sun as it doesn't really get the sun in that way.

We only have full windows across one wall - low wall and windows set above.

3/4 wall and obscured windows to both sides.

The windows only have top openers which would make venetian blinds a bit of a pain as you have to hoist them up to open the windows.

And across patio doors - I can't see blinds working very well.

Not the end of the world of course but we do get a bit of condensation too and raising the blinds in the mornings for the daily wipe-up could be a pain.

Anyway, I'm wondering whether it's acceptable in a conservatory to have proper curtains across the windows and also across the patio doors?

I'm thinking they might be cheaper than blinds, warmer in winter, easier to open for window access but I'm not sure if curtains are old fashioned or odd in a conservatory?

I'm guessing they would also help with dampening down the noise too.

The internal walls are bare red brick - so I'm thinking of something maybe in heavy, deep brown velvety type fabric.

What do you have in yours?

bluebolt Sat 02-Jan-16 14:11:30

As your conservatory is not yet finished I would give a year to see where you stand with condensation and any spider issues. Curtain will absorb water if condensation is a problem. Have you looked at perfect fit blinds that fit in the frames of Windows so will not interfere with openings.

Whatdoiknow31 Sat 02-Jan-16 18:50:45

We have pleated perfect fit blinds in ours, doors included but not the roof as like the architectural design of it. Love them! Bit of a faff to open/close them - but we have 30 to deal with!

Parents next door neighbour have curtains in theirs and imo they look odd/naff - just my opinion mind

Chewbecca Sat 02-Jan-16 18:58:27

Nothing!

The idea of curtains in a conservatory is a bit odd to me?

Blinds if sun protection is needed but nothing else.

evrybuddy Sun 03-Jan-16 14:11:44

Thanks all - have looked at perfect blinds but not sure.

Veering towards curtains because of their warmth/insulating/draught excluding properties.

I call it a conservatory becaue it has one mainly glass wall but really, this is going to be our main living room so we need something on the windows for nocturnal privacy - otherwise 'nothing' would be fine if it was just a summer room.

evrybuddy Sun 03-Jan-16 14:29:47

Perfect Fit Blinds - can I just check with those that have installed them ----

You have to insert fittings between the glass and the window frame to hook the blind frame onto....

Our windows have a very tight join between glass and upvc frame with a very narrow concealed black rubber bead.

I can't imagine being able to insert anything between the frame and the beading/glass ... or that it would be good to do that?

Does the fitted nature of the Perfect Blind not encourage the growth of mould and condensation in hard to reach places behind the blind &/or fittings?

Whatdoiknow31 Sun 03-Jan-16 15:01:08

Ours are not strictly perfect fit, but they look the same and are fitted to each window so if you have a window open the blind goes with it if you know what I mean.

We initially wanted venetians but that would have meant drilling into the conservatory frame - was not keen on that.

The ones we went for are fitted by clipping onto four clips. Two at the top, two at the bottom which are screwed into the window beading. If we ever need to wash them we just unclip and pop the whole blind in the bath. Likewise if we ever wanted a different blind / no blinds we can get the beading replaced.

Whatdoiknow31 Sun 03-Jan-16 15:02:51

Here's what I mean

Chewbecca Sun 03-Jan-16 18:58:19

Does it have a glass roof?

That makes all the difference to if curtains will look weird or not.

evrybuddy Sun 03-Jan-16 19:25:46

@Whatdoiknow31 --- that looks really nice.

They look much less obtrusive than the 'perfect fit' blinds but your descriptions sounds the same as their fitting method.
Are they from a different company?

@Chewbecca --- It's an opal/obscured polycarbonate roof - not sure if that's better or worse than glass in regards to curtains... what do you think?

evrybuddy Sun 03-Jan-16 19:29:24

It's not clear sky above - it will look like this when finished but with frosty glass to side walls

Noeuf Sun 03-Jan-16 19:37:51

We have had one for about a year. White upvc with a blue glass pitched roof. Recently discovered mould where we have been drying clothes so I want to avoid anything that might encourage it.

I don't really understand how we would get blinds to fit if not perfect fit?

Chewbecca Sun 03-Jan-16 19:50:31

Oooh, I really can't imagine curtains doing the windows of that looking right, sorry.

Roman blinds are often thicker/warmer/more luxurious than wood/thinner ones, would they work? eg like the cons pic here.

Have you got decent heating in the room? My conservatory can be really cold in winter but we don't have it well heated. You might want something that goes over the roof too for warmth, you might find covering the Windows alone doesn't make it cosy enough for a living room.

Maybe you could live with it through a few seasons before deciding?

noeuf 'perfect fit' blinds are the ones that kind of sit almost inside the frame, as opposed to over the top like a normal blind - google images shows loads. & I think the reason for mould is that you need a window open when drying clothes in an air tight space - the dampness needs to go somewhere.

Noeuf Sun 03-Jan-16 19:53:03

Thank you chewbecca, that looks like a good plan. You are right about the window and I think I need to buy a radiator as well.

Whatdoiknow31 Sun 03-Jan-16 20:10:20

Evrybudy - fitted different to perfect fit as not on a frame, just two strips - one at the top and one at the bottom with strong string type stuff in the same colour connecting down either side. Strips are fitted via four clips (two top, two at the bottom) which are screwed into the window bead. Can then unclip the blind at any time for cleaning etc.

I think with perfect fit you loose some of the actual window with the frame thickness. Didn't want that as love the openness of the space so didn't want to risk closing it in.

When these are open they don't take up much of the window - the doors more so as there is more material, even so only about 2"

Sorry about pic :-(

Whatdoiknow31 Sun 03-Jan-16 20:15:38

Helps if I actually turn the main light n to take a pic - who'd have thought! Lol

Anyway, hopefully you can see what I mean by the clips and string now

evrybuddy Mon 04-Jan-16 10:35:56

@Whatdoiknow31 - they look good! As you say, less intrusive than 'perfect fit' the frames they supply are quite bulky by comparision with yours.

Do you remember where you got them?

@Chewbecca - we won't be having the style of furniture in the picture but I know what you mean... curtains are hard to visualise in a conservatory.
We've got a big radiator going in so I'm optimistic on the warmth all year round but who knows? One bad winter might change my mind!

Roman blinds are a possibility - hadn't thought of them. Certainly take up less space than curtains along the window sills

This is probably what I'm trying to avoid - style wise but I'm still tempted by the warmth and can't help wondering if the curtains were only plain, in a nice fabric...

Whatdoiknow31 Tue 05-Jan-16 20:00:00

They were from a local independent company evrybuddy, the blinds are actually German design, but made in the uk.

If your build is not too far along I can thoroughly recommend underfloor heating - not electric though as that would be expensive to run.

We have it in ours. That heating zone goes off at 8.30am and timed to come on again in the evening if the temperature drops low enough. But it hasn't had to come on in the evening so far this winter (conservatory new in September) and it's currently 20degrees in there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now