Talk

Advanced search

Re enamelling a bath

(7 Posts)
QuickQuickSloe Wed 30-Dec-15 23:51:41

Hi,

My enamel bath looks awful and needs replacing. To get the bath out however, we would have to remove a lot of tiles and I don't really want to spend that much extra money. I was thinking about geTting the enamel repaired/ re eNamelled. Has anyone got any experience of this, or would they recommeNd any companies?

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Wed 30-Dec-15 23:55:06

I found a local company about 10 years ago. Took him houra to sand and respray etc. About £400. Looked ok, but wasnt perfect. It was money well spent because once you have aproper hot bath - theres no going back!!

amarmai Thu 31-Dec-15 00:05:32

i've dabbed bath enamel on chipped bits years ago and altho the color match was not perfect ,it's ok and has lasted decades. Not sure if a roller wd give a smooth overall enamelling , but a brush def wdn't. hey a spray wd be good. I love doing anything myself- save so much $$!

SleepyForest Thu 31-Dec-15 00:18:40

We had a company do ours about ten years ago. It looked as good as new and is still going strong.

Shockers Thu 31-Dec-15 00:23:08

We had ours done in our last house. It still has DD's little fingerprints on the side. She was a very inquisitive child.

PigletJohn Thu 31-Dec-15 00:31:59

You would need a very expensive, or awkward, bath to convince me it was worth repainting.

I have seen it done, and it's not as good as the manufacturers vitreous enamel on an iron or steel bath. As modern cleaning materials are better, and no-one uses Vim or Ajax any more, enamelled baths last longer than they used to.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Thu 31-Dec-15 00:53:16

I was told to use washing up liquid ... works a treat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now