Selling and no electrical certificate

(5 Posts)
Cumberlover76 Wed 30-Dec-15 08:25:30

We have accepted an offer on our house, woo hoo! And now have to fill out all of the sellers forms from our solicitor. It asks for electrical certificates for any electrical installation work done. DH installed a fan linked to the light switch in our bathroom, as he did it there is no certificate. Anyone know what we should do? Say we don't have a certificate, uninstall it, get an electrician to check it? Would rather not pay out if we don't have to.

HoggleHoggle Wed 30-Dec-15 08:30:18

Personally I would just be honest and put in the relevant place 'fan in bathroom installed in x year by owner' and leave it at that. If that was me I personally would just accept that, though I would also understand if your buyers requested an electrician to check it - however it would be a grey area as to who would pay for that and personally if they requested it I would want them to pay. It depends how much you want the sale to proceed and how reasonable your buyers are!

eurochick Wed 30-Dec-15 08:44:51

We didn't have electrical certificates for some of the work done in our house (done years before sale). We just said "no" on the property information firm and that was the last we heard about it.

Cumberlover76 Wed 30-Dec-15 08:47:17

Thanks both. I've not sold before and its been a while for DH so wanted to test the water on this.

specialsubject Wed 30-Dec-15 10:24:15

just tell them you don't have any certificates. If they want an electrical check, they pay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now