Architect drawings question

(5 Posts)
littlebearsmummy Tue 29-Dec-15 20:06:15

Hi

We have had outline plans completed by a local architect who was initially great. These have now been approved. We then had six builders quote. Some of the builders wanted us to get building reg drawings, at which point our architect started to be less interested and helpful and told yes he could do them but a good builder shouldn't need them. The builder we have now lined up to start in a couple of months, is relaxed about us not having them so the plan was to leave it. I'm becoming concerned however that this gives the builder and suppliers space to slide out of responsibility further down the line if we have problems.

Has anyone gone ahead with quite large scale building renovations without building regs drawings. Should point out we will get a structural engineer to do calcs for steels.

Just to point out, we've heard that our architects more detailed drawings are naff, he isn't really interested in doing them for us so to get the building regs drawings would require finding a new person to do them.

Thanks!

skinnyamericano Tue 29-Dec-15 20:14:26

We had our whole house built without building regs drawings, the builder was confident he didn't need them. I don't recall any problems caused by not having them, but I suppose you will get more questions from the builders.

For our extension, we did pay the architect to do them, but I actually think that it was a waste of a huge amount of money.

If your builder is happy without, I'd be inclined to accept that.

littlebearsmummy Tue 29-Dec-15 20:30:23

I can't tell you how reassuring this is, thank you! Our builder has worked from our architects outline plans before on other projects, hence he's relaxed (and claims when he has done them they haven't been worth looking at!). Thanks again

Spickle Tue 29-Dec-15 22:07:48

Same here. We are nearly at the end of our build project and our builder has worked from the architects outline plans, as he has done on other projects. While there have been a few slight changes due to angles etc, the builder has been very relaxed - he's discussed with us all changes and everything has been done to satisfy building regulations.

icklekid Wed 30-Dec-15 06:43:16

If your unsure of your builder ask to speak to/even better go and see other properties he has done so you can see if they did them off first plans or building regulations drawings. Hopefully this will help put your mind at ease. We aren't having detailed building regulations drawings as only having a 'standard' single story extension. I think it depends on the complexity of building and how much of a detail person you are!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now