Talk

Advanced search

Lost land transfer document, moving house

(4 Posts)
jayneysays Tue 29-Dec-15 18:19:54

Hello,
Does anyone have any conveyancing experience please ?
We have a buyer for our house and transaction was going well until their solicitor discovered that there is a missing land transfer document from when we bought the house (new).
We have never had it, and it is unavailable via land registry,
Initially their solicitor asked for an indemnity policy and a stat declaration to go ahead. Now he is saying that he wants to amend the title.
How would this be done ? I have asked land registry and they say that it can't be amended as there was no mistake on the original.
Is their solicitor being picky, or do they have a point ?
Thanks in advance.

PettsWoodParadise Tue 29-Dec-15 18:45:29

I don't have any advice but I would have thought you need to get in touch with the solicitors who handled your purchase and ask them about it. If not the solicitors then the company you bought the new house from. Hope you get it sorted.

jayneysays Tue 29-Dec-15 19:04:39

Thanks
Yes we have done those things, no luck.
Thanks for the reply

PettsWoodParadise Tue 29-Dec-15 20:15:17

If the conveyance was done incorrectly then I would have thought that the original solicitor is liable and you will have recourse to follow this up with the SRA if they don't give an indication they are wiling to fix a problem they have made. Not of course an immediate solution unless the solicitor gets the hint and moves themselves to do the the right thing - unless of course they have given you evidence to put to your buyers solicitor that all was in order. I do think you need an answer either way from the original solicitor.

Otherwise if starting from scratch I presume you need to register the title www.gov.uk/government/collections/unregistered-land-practice-guides - if it is still registered in someone else's (or a company's) name you can find out from LR who and then take it from there. Hopefully a legal brain will come along and be able to give more accurate advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now