Talk

Advanced search

Help choosing Storage boxes for over fitted wardrobes

(6 Posts)
united4ever Tue 29-Dec-15 00:02:38

Hi, got these fitted ikea wardrobes. Unfortunately they don't go right up to the ceiling so we can't utilise the space right up to the ceiling without it looking messy with piles of stuff on top.

I also appreciate that putting storage boxes there will be quite a visual impact so want to find ones that look good.

The room is also too neutral so could do with something to make it look more homely or brighter but don't want something too busy/gaudy either.

Was considering putting a few of these (they would fit)

www.johnlewis.com/minene-large-striped-storage-box-blue/p587650?sku=232286391&kpid=232286391&s_kenid=2a27aaf0-e4e9-4165-8dfb-ff4f45aa0bbb&s_kwcid=403x707747&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

But they are a bit pricey. It's two rooms with a 3m run of wardrobes so I would need to buy 10 of those John Lewis ones which is £270. Been watching them for nearly a year and they never get reduced.

wowfudge Tue 29-Dec-15 08:35:31

It would be helpful if you could give the dimensions of the space above the wardrobes. Then we can suggest alternatives to the boxes you've linked to.

united4ever Tue 29-Dec-15 09:47:12

Of course. Height 27cm. Depth 40cm. Its a run of 3 metres so any width really as i envisage buying a few to fill the 3 metres.

specialsubject Tue 29-Dec-15 14:03:57

you can get something similar for a tenth the price in Wilkinson or B and M.

think hard about it - will you bother to get the stuff down? The boxes will be a massive dust and mould trap. Is less stuff a possible?

united4ever Tue 29-Dec-15 22:32:33

yes, maybe you're right, I just hate the thought of usable space up there being wasted when we are struggling for space in other parts of the house.

Cressandra Wed 30-Dec-15 00:32:50

I think it would need to be light, otherwise they will draw the eye next to the pale wardrobes, walls and ceilings. You say the room is too neutral but storage boxes on top of wardrobes are not the place I'd choose to accentuate. Put colour on the main furnishings instead.

I'm sure ikea would do the job. I like transparent ones (samla), otherwise I think you'll never find anything especially if you have 10! But there are lots of alternatives - garnityr, svira, tjena from a quick look . I'd go light and lidded as absolute essentials. "Half cube" boxes from competitors to kallax might be worth a look too. GLTC has some but they are pricey, argos etc might do some too.

Alternatively could you use those vacuum storage bags? Lain down flat they might not be visible from normal head height.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now