Shell build

(6 Posts)
Peyia Mon 28-Dec-15 14:51:25

Hello,

Has anyone managed to get a builder to agree to a shell build? So leaving you just with the electrics and plaster board?

I live in SE London and it's proving difficult. Builders come round but I never receive their quote and I refuse to chase them as I think they'll be unreliable if they can't even send a quote (they should just be honest if they don't want the job!)

We would like to square off our kitchen so we're not talking about a big job. It's the space next to the kitchen sink in the picture that will be the addition. We'll be utilising the current floor space but taking out a chimney breast so in total we'll need 3 steel beams.

Our budget is tiny thanks to overpriced london housing stock so we want to make good and then DIY, call on favours from friends in the trade after the shell is complete. We're having no luck and wondered if anyone successfully done this? If yes and you live in London/kent please do recommend builders but would like to hear about shell builds in general.

Thanks smile

lalalonglegs Mon 28-Dec-15 15:36:57

Yes, all the time as I always do my own decorating and often tile etc. You will probably have to approach some one-man band type builders rather than bigger companies. Getting a builder is a bit like finding a boyfriend, you have to be quite persistent, it doesn't always work to sit and wait for them to get back in touch, ime, you have to work at it especially in London.

TheLesserSpottedBee Mon 28-Dec-15 16:38:51

Yes my kitchen extension.

Builder built it but I had my own electrician and kitchen fitter and the builder sub contracted the plasterer.

I am in Yorkshire though. I found the builder through a friend who had a very picky friend who was having an extension built. Went to see that job whilst he was mid way through to see his work, have a chat etc.

Peyia Mon 28-Dec-15 17:08:28

Yes perhaps I need to play their hard to get game lala

Did you save money by going the she'll build route Bee?

Peyia Mon 28-Dec-15 17:08:50

*Shell

Mydearchild Wed 30-Dec-15 15:45:46

We are in the same boat too. We are planning a full width rear single storey extension in the spring. Dh was an electrician and plasterer in a previous life and my db is a plumber so we are looking for floor, walls and a roof. We may go down the brickie and roofer route and do it all separately. Just waiting for the full architect plans before I approach builders though. The architect reckons 30k should cover it but God knows how accurate that will be! We are in the west mids so hopefully not too tricky to find a builder willing to do this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now