Talk

Advanced search

How can you be a guarantor for a mortgage?

(4 Posts)
loooopo Sat 26-Dec-15 14:52:27

I am thinking if helping my younger brother who works on a contractual basis and has a substantial deposit - can he just borrow x5 his current earnings and then I guarantee it against my property and earnings?

lalalonglegs Sat 26-Dec-15 15:50:42

He might not need a guarantor if he has accounts going back 3-5 years that show he regularly earns such at whatever level. 5x mortgages aren't unheard of. To become a guarantor, you would have to be credit-checked and often have to go through the application procedure yourself - you would need a reasonably high level of discretionary spending because, in theory, you could end up paying your and his mortgage simultaneously. I would suggest that he spoke to a good broker first to see if he can go it alone.

I would be very wary of doing this for anyone that I didn't know and trust very well - and I would include siblings in this. Possibly I would do it for my children but only if they did not have even a hint of a grey mark on their credit records. I would want some legal agreement in place before I agreed.

Fizrim Sat 26-Dec-15 16:04:48

Can you be a guarantor for a mortgage? Surely they will just refuse him if they don't think he can make the payments/borrow as much as he wants, not ask him for a guarantor. However, if you can you will be making yourself liable for the payments over the whole term of the mortgage! Has he spoken to a broker?

greenfolder Sat 26-Dec-15 19:53:30

Have a look at Barclays,they have some good schemes for guarantor mortgages, especially family ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now