Talk

Advanced search

what do you think of this floor plan?

(28 Posts)
lugo40 Mon 21-Dec-15 20:14:39

Honest opinions please, if looking at this floor plan on right move what would be your thoughts?

MissLanaBanana Mon 21-Dec-15 20:17:02

I like it!was trying to find something I'd alter but nope!spot on!

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Mon 21-Dec-15 20:19:43

I like it. A lot, actually.

Although 'formal dining room' would become 'study' in our house - we would always dine in kitchen diner.

Basketofchocolate Mon 21-Dec-15 20:20:05

Bloody lovely!

If trying to find something wrong would say potentially dark stairways as not sure about windows there. Study areas appear to be on the landings? Could work, but might be awkward, hard to tell from a plan really.

Good luck as looks great.

NickNacks Mon 21-Dec-15 20:20:30

I like it. I'd probably use the room labelled formal dining room as a playroom (childminder).

YoniMitchell Mon 21-Dec-15 20:21:15

Great layout. Am I missing something or is this a stealth boast? grin

Madbengalmum Mon 21-Dec-15 20:23:31

Nice downstairs layout, but had a three storey house and hated not having all beds on the same landing.

KanyesVest Mon 21-Dec-15 20:24:50

The only thing that would irk me is I would prefer to access the laundry room from the kitchen, rather than the main hallway. Other than that, I'd love it.

zoemaguire Mon 21-Dec-15 20:24:53

If I was designing my own house it wouldn't be far off this!

lugo40 Mon 21-Dec-15 20:27:05

thank you!! funny enough its a lovely light stair case due to carefully positioned windows - but you cannot tell that from a floor plan so thats interesting point, thank you.

haha not a boast, we are making internal tweaks/extension plans to the house and this is what the proposed end would be so before we commit just wanted to get opinions. Sometimes you cannot see the obvious when you have been staring at it for months!

PinPon Mon 21-Dec-15 20:28:38

Looks good to me. Lots of bathrooms! Is there anything you're concerned about?

lugo40 Mon 21-Dec-15 20:35:13

the family living and family dining areas are an extension which is not yet done. We were worried the current kitchen would come across small without the proposed extension plus we like having two formal rooms and then live in the kitchen which is our reason for doing it but its good to "test" it out and see that others seem to like it to.

In an ideal world there would also be a separate study but the two landing areas are large with full head height and are off of the main walkway through the landing if that makes sense so hopefully wont be too much of a compromise.

We would eventualy plan the play area to be in the family living/dining areas but some may prefer that away from the kitchen I guess. I think we have done the best we can with the floor plan/space.

ENTirelyTrimmedUpForChristmas Mon 21-Dec-15 20:52:00

Usually I prefer a utility or laundry room opening off the kitchen, but in your instance, it seems better opening from the hall and keeping space for a good run of units in the kitchen.

I'd lose a set of French doors from the informal dining area.

It's also a personal preference for the master bedroom to be at the back of the house, so I'd rejig the main bathroom,linen cupboards and ensuite spaces to facilitate that.
That may not be something that bothers you though, in which case, the layout's a good one smile

magpieC Mon 21-Dec-15 22:13:38

I agree with others about having utility room off the kitchen - it also seems quite small. I guess that depends how you would use it - if it's purely a laundry rooom then fair enough but if you use it to keep coats/dirty boots/random junk/cleaning/diy stuff/... then it might be a bit irritating

lugo40 Mon 21-Dec-15 22:21:43

I have always thought having a utility/laundry off the kitchen is much better too. So originally we designed it like that, but then what we realised was we were walking down the stairs with the washing and then walking through the kitchen and round again when we could just walk down the stairs and straight into the laundry room. It seemed to make more sense. The other big positive is that we can come in from the garden with muddy shoes and go straight through utility into the WC without walking through the kitchen and the hallway. We have an under stairs cupboard for coats and boots etc. The laundry room has been designed to have a washing machine, sink , tumble dryer and a tall cleaning cupboard. And a pul down ironing board with tv on the wall so i can iron and watch tv. I agree, it is on the small side, but i think it is just about workable. Any changes to it will ultimately impact the kitchen is the only trouble...

ConnieSpry Mon 21-Dec-15 22:24:40

The only problem i can see is the laundry room off the hallway - straight opposite the front door , and also down the staircase from the bedrooms (i.e. where most of the washing comes from)
If there were any way, if the plumbing worked, you could swap that area and make that a study area and put the laundry room near the bedrooms - perfect.
Nice house smile

DangerMouth Mon 21-Dec-15 22:29:19

Really like it. Only thing I'd change is the ensuite having two doors. I'd like the privacy of it being only mine!

Marmitelover55 Mon 21-Dec-15 22:29:32

I think it looks better now that you have changed the dining room and sitting room round. Does the white mean you are removing some of the wall between the kitchen and dining room? If so I would probably suggest changing the kitchen layout a bit so that you have an L with an island between kitchen and dining area.

RideEmCowgirl Mon 21-Dec-15 22:30:35

We have a similar layout in that we have a lounge, formal dining room, kitchen plus dining/family area plus another room with sofa's. Also toilet and utility room.

The formal dining area is now the boy's games room where the consoles are set up.

Pooka Mon 21-Dec-15 22:36:11

You don't have a basin in the WC but clearly have space so I assume that's just a drafting error.

ChablisTyrant Mon 21-Dec-15 22:48:45

The intriguing thing about having a utility completely separate from the kitchen is how hard it is to remember to get the washing in and out of the machine!

lugo40 Mon 21-Dec-15 23:10:01

Haha, that is so true :-)

IWasHereBeforeTheHack Sat 26-Dec-15 13:05:34

My utility has dishwasher as well as washing machine, so it's ideal being off the kitchen. If your utility is purely for laundry then it's fine.

You seem to have created a lot of dining spaces - formal, informal and outdoor, which seems like a luxurious use of space. I don't know how many people live in your house, children's ages (if any), or your entertaining habits, so ignore me if this is not relevant, but do you have any casual eating area in the kitchen at all?

I'm sure you have thought this through and as I said, having 3 designated dining areas certainly lends an air of luxury, especially as I assume you'll be using them one at a time, or possibly 2 at most if you are (for example) feeding children at tea-time in one of them and prepping for an evening dinner party in another one. If you can afford the space and don't need it for anything else go ahead and enjoy your layout.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 26-Dec-15 14:12:19

Maybe add an island ?

IWasHereBeforeTheHack Sun 27-Dec-15 10:01:42

An island might do the job, if it doesn't spoil your look & circulating space. Do the Family and Informal dining rooms open directly off the kitchen?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now