Advanced search

Home Insurance Whilst Extension Being Built - Can't find any cover!

(8 Posts)
roses2 Mon 21-Dec-15 11:00:35


My home insurance us due for renewal next week and I have a major kitchen extension project starting on 4th January which will take ~6 weeks of major work.

I have phoned several insurance companies but can't find any that will provide cover!

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Loumate666 Mon 21-Dec-15 11:06:02

How about stay with your current insurer? You'll find that most Ins Companies will but a general building works exclusion on the policy anyway so you'll be partly relying on your builders insurance rather than yours for the the small print of any policy exclusion and make sure you see and check your builder's insurance

roses2 Mon 21-Dec-15 11:13:21

Already tried that, they won't cover me for any refurbishment work!

Mum2KSS Mon 21-Dec-15 11:24:32

Hi - we were in a similar situation as we are currently mid way through a complete renovation and have been covered by computerquote -

Computerquote Insurance
Birch House, Parklands Business Park
Forest Road, Denmead, Hampshire PO7 6XP
0800 389 9949

try them.

Madblondedog Mon 21-Dec-15 11:50:49

I'm with Aviva and they had no issues as long as the builder keeps his tools locked up and he had his own insurance

IloveCheese11 Mon 21-Dec-15 16:09:18

We had the same issue and used Towegate connect. My regular insurance company recommended them as a company that covered special circumstances. Prepare to pay more though!

roses2 Tue 22-Dec-15 08:42:27

I got online quotes through then I phoned up Liverpool Victoria and they covered me for a further £65 fee. Still reasonably priced compared to everyone else. £280 for standard building & contents insurance including legal cover plus £65 to cover for the 6 weeks of works.

Can't believe how difficult it is to get home insurance whilst the house is occupied and renovation work is taking place! It wasn't this hard when I got the loft converted in 2007, there must have been a spate of bade builders...

mrsmortis Tue 22-Dec-15 09:53:00

When you have some unusual circumstance to cover it's often best to go to an old fashioned broker as they have a broader view of the market. In the past I've used A-Plan.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: