Talk

Advanced search

Are we mad to want to move back to a village

(10 Posts)
Uphillanddowndale12 Thu 17-Dec-15 14:58:33

Hi 2 and half years ago we downsized from a 4 bed Victorian house in a village to a 3 bedroom bungalow on the edge of a small town, a mile away from where we were. Its a good sized bungalow and is close to public transport and shops BUT we miss the village life and the sense of belonging that we felt that we don't get here it all feels a bit anonymous here. We drive back there to go to the pub, walk our dog, see friends etc.

Both of us have agreed that we miss the life of the village and agree that we like this house we're in but we have stated looking out for properties in the village. Do you think we're MAD to want to move again?

A house is coming up soon in a street in the village that we really like - the owner has died and I think her son who lives nearby will sell it once he's got probate. I can't stop thinking about it and ways to find out if and when this house we like will come on the market. Would we be cheeky to drop him and his wife a note to ask about it and expressing our interest - we know them vaguely as ex neighbours but rarely see them to talk to.

Another plus is that since we've been in this bungalow we've added value to it and could buy the house for less than we'd sell this one for and make a profit that we could put into doing up the village one and maybe still have money left over
Are we mad?

FancyPuffin Thu 17-Dec-15 15:03:10

Not a bit!

Life's too short, go for it smile

Financially it makes sense as well.

Uphillanddowndale12 Thu 17-Dec-15 18:12:13

Fancy thank you! life is too short is exactly what Im always telling people - except I don't tell myself this, or take my own advice. You're right smile

Moving15 Thu 17-Dec-15 18:35:01

Sounds like a great plan!

duracellmummy Thu 17-Dec-15 18:40:23

Good plan

And i would consider dropping a note to the son before the house goes on the market. He may well be happy to avoid the estate agent's fees and do a direct sale (I would use a solicitor though as otherwise might be awkward in negotiations if you are going to be neighbours). The worst that could happen is he says no or puts it on via the EA anyway.

greenfolder Sun 20-Dec-15 20:46:47

We sold Pils house to the next door neighbours who were renting and desperate to buy in the street. Could have sold it 10 times over without going to an agent. Drop the son a line. You will kick yourself if someone else does and it doesn't go on the open market.

JemimaMuddleDuck Sun 20-Dec-15 22:15:12

Completely. You're happier living in a village. You don't have to justify yourself!

Fellow village idiot here...

catbasilio Sat 26-Dec-15 23:54:02

Very interesting. I upsized from Victorian house to a 1960s house, from busy location to suburbs, 2 miles away. Theoretically a good move, but like you I spend most time in my old area. I think yours is a good idea to take the plunge and move.

scarlets Mon 28-Dec-15 10:25:44

It definitely makes sense to move back to the village. Everything in your post points to that.

Don't set your heart on this particular house, because if it's a family-sized doer-upper in a nice village, you may not be the only ones dropping the son a line. Be prepared for disappointment, especially if another bidder, such as a developer, emerges who has nothing to sell.

Get your bungalow market-ready and arrange valuations asap to show serious intent to the son.

Good luck! Exciting times.

Uphillanddowndale12 Mon 28-Dec-15 19:48:01

Thanks all. Yes you're all right. We were out today with a group of friends from the village and all of them agree we should move back and no-one thought we were mad to do it - apart from our usual madness!
I'm going to wait til into the new year and drop the son a note, cause, as greenfolder says I'd be kicking myself if someone got to him before us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now