Talk

Advanced search

Downstairs bathroom?

(14 Posts)
eastwest Thu 17-Dec-15 07:58:29

We've been seeing quite a few properties where the bathroom is on the ground floor (this is the only bathroom). Does anyone have one of these and how inconvenient is it for children?

IShouldBeSoLurky Thu 17-Dec-15 09:26:09

No children but for two adults it is fucking inconvenient. Seriously, don't do it.

Twitterqueen Thu 17-Dec-15 09:28:51

Ditto. Don't do it

Belle0906 Thu 17-Dec-15 09:54:57

Two adults and two children. Don't do it. Seriously inconvenient. My children are older so can take themselves to the toilet in the night but it would have driven me insane whilst they were toddlers.

We're about to have an en suite fitted as I can't stand it a minute longer.

eastwest Thu 17-Dec-15 21:01:10

Thanks! I've lived with one when we were two adults and it was annoying but could be put up with (just) - but am very wary about it with kids.
Interestinng about the en-suite - I suppose that's a long term possibility, or converting the loft and then turning the 3rd bed back into the bathroom...

Luckystar1 Thu 17-Dec-15 21:04:33

We had one in our old house, DS was 9 months when we moved.

We didn't notice any difference whatsoever (except when 9 months pregnant and needed to pee all night!), it was totally fine.

We lived it with DS, especially when weaning, as it was super easy to clean DS without ruining any carpet etc (we've actually found it annoying carrying him upstairs at night after dinner).

It made zero difference to us.

IAmAPaleontologist Thu 17-Dec-15 21:17:57

Our only bathroom is downstairs. Been here 6 years ish, 3 dc. Works fine for us. There are disadvantages I suppose, when pregnant and needing the loo a million times a night it is annoying! Ditto if you have a case of raging diarrhoea. But there are advantages too, bathroom is next to kitchen so with small children it is practical sling them in the bath and get on with making dinner or washing up while supervising, can easily herd them in to hose them down after baking or painting or getting coved In mud outside, when someone is getting up early for work they can go downstairs and get ready without disturbing anyone else. You just get used to it, it is normal for us.

ftm123 Fri 18-Dec-15 09:00:16

Some challenges I have had with downstairs bathrooms relate to specific layouts. If the bathroom is in an extension and not well insulated it will be very cold in winter. If the bathroom is only accessible via a narrow galley kitchen this will be a pain when cooking.

Obviously you can make most things work, but if you have a choice it's something to balance against other priorities. Personally I happily rented with a downstairs bathroom (with right layout) but looked to buy with an upstairs one. Although this didn't stop us offering on one with a downstairs bathroom which we liked in every other respect.

yomellamoHelly Fri 18-Dec-15 09:13:49

We bought a house with a downstairs bathroom (but all the houses we were looking at did), but with room to put one in upstairs if we couldn't live with it. (Was pg with no1.) Turns out it was massively handy when you've got kids and I missed it massively when we left. Finally have one again and it's bliss. (But accept that may not be a common viewpoint.)

randomsabreuse Fri 18-Dec-15 09:19:50

Hate them. Not great with ageing parents or toddlers - stairs in night unless there are also bedrooms downstairs.

That said we bought a house with a downstairs bathroom and ensuite. Downstairs bathroom is now a big utility and a small single is now the family bathroom.

Woodhill Fri 18-Dec-15 09:27:47

used to have one in last house but it was okay and modern. I prefer upstairs bathrooms but now have downstairs shower room too so very handy.

OnTheMove28 Fri 18-Dec-15 12:36:43

Pros and cons have pretty much been covered. Great for younger children in many ways - although night trips to the loo can be a pain. The one thing that we have come up against recently is elderly relatives who really don't want to come and stay anymore because of the stairs at night (apart from the one who asked for a bucket in the bedroom shock).

Personally I don't think I would do it if it is your only bathroom. I'd be happy to have a main bathroom downstairs but I think you still need a loo or shower room upstairs if your budget stretches that far.

eastwest Fri 18-Dec-15 23:44:19

Thanks, that's v interesting that some have found it actually convenient with younger children. I have a boy aged 3, not yet night-time potty trained, and I can't imagine him going downstairs on his own in the dark for a wee until he's really quite old (how old? I dunno). So I guess it means I'd have to take him...? but maybe I would anyway...? I really don't know what to expect with night-time loo visits. That's the main concern for me. Everything else I can work around.

IAmAPaleontologist Sat 19-Dec-15 08:37:21

We just kept a potty in their bedrooms until they were happy to go down themselves if they woke. Mind you my 7 year old dd isn't dry yet! But that is just her and not the bathroom. The only issue we have is when fil comes to visit, he goes to the loo about 5 times a night but is also mostly deaf so has no idea how loud he is being clomping up and down the stairs! He doesn't seem to mind though.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now