Talk

Advanced search

writing a weird letter to homeowners

(17 Posts)
Dumdiddlydum Thu 17-Dec-15 07:42:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

howtorebuild Thu 17-Dec-15 07:47:08

If you are that desperate to live there, it's worth a try.

Moving15 Thu 17-Dec-15 07:55:18

Worth a try! My friend sold her house because someone did exactly what you are thinking of doing so it can work!
What would you do if they contacted you and invited you to make an offer??

WeThreeMythicalKings Thu 17-Dec-15 07:57:58

We got a letter like that when we were doing up our house before moving in. The people hoped we were doing it up to sell it. I don't think it's weird.

Dumdiddlydum Thu 17-Dec-15 07:59:52

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 17-Dec-15 07:59:54

I would make the note, far, far briefer and cut out all the emotional stuff.

Just a note saying that you're looking for a property in the area and if they're considering selling now or even in a few years would they consider contacting you at .......

Dumdiddlydum Thu 17-Dec-15 08:00:50

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 17-Dec-15 08:01:21

If they say yes you get it valued by three estate agents and take it from there. But if you seem too eager they will want to go with the top price and be harder to budge.

Wellthatsit Thu 17-Dec-15 08:03:56

I don't think putting a letter along those lines through the door is weird, but you come across as a bit intense to be honest. You have created a sort of fantasy about this house and how perfect it is, or would be if you lived in it, and I would feel a bit awkward if it was my house and knew someone was fantasising about getting it off me. maybe tone down the detail a bit. just say you are looking for a new house and would be interested in hearing from them if they are planning to sell.

Dumdiddlydum Thu 17-Dec-15 08:06:36

MajesticWhine Thu 17-Dec-15 08:07:03

Hmm. Nothing wrong with the note I guess. I would pop it in the recycling if someone sent it to me. But you just moved 6 months ago and you are fantasising about another house? That's a bit odd. I would be asking myself why I couldn't be happy with what I had. There is always a better house, bigger garden, better decor. Focus on what you have.

SquareRootOfPie Thu 17-Dec-15 08:10:46

Try it, but I do hate when I read on here that people hoping to buy a house think they're more worthy of it because they're a family or because they have a young baby. It's like they think childless people or single people don't have housing needs!

It really is the most self-indulgent way of thinking. I would keep the note really short. Who you are (ie, names and contact details) and the fact that you're looking for a house in the area and would they please file your letter in case they ever sell.

Boleh Thu 17-Dec-15 08:13:35

I got a note through the door from a couple saying they were interested in buying property in the area and asking us to get in touch if we plan to sell. We do indeed want to sell sometime in spring next year so I'll drop them a text after Christmas.
However you really need to leave out all the gushy stuff about a how it's such a fabulous home - it makes you sound a bit like a stalker who wants to take over their home rather than buy their house! Make it a bit general about the area and be clear that your interest is long term too but leave it at that!

Dumdiddlydum Thu 17-Dec-15 08:14:44

Dumdiddlydum Thu 17-Dec-15 08:15:58

SquareRootOfPie Thu 17-Dec-15 08:20:41

I would leave out the family thing. Who knows, if they ever have to sell, their splitting up might be the reason for that.... so it's best to leave it out because you seem to be saying dream house dream family bingo. It's just not relevant and might seem like an attempt to guilt them in to not just going for the highest offer. I wouldn't want to be guilted in to doing anything other than taking the offer that I liked best (ie, highest, cash, mortgage approved with margin for a delay - that type of thing)

ChishandFips33 Sat 19-Dec-15 08:11:53

Nothing to lose...We bought a house this way!
I would leave in that you live nearby as they may be more likely to sell to a local (ours chose us for this reason) but take out a little of the intense stuff so you don't pay over the odds.
Leave some in so it's not clinical/business like

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now