Talk

Advanced search

Hmm, estate agent doesn't seem keen to sell this house, why? WWYD?

(19 Posts)
wickedwaterwitch Tue 15-Dec-15 19:41:15

I saw a house I liked the look of and called the agent this morning to ask if I could see it. He said:

- it's been reduced already (I hadn't mentioned price at all)

- it needs a lot of work (I said I knew, it's obvious from the pictures)

- we need to give the vendors notice - I said fine, is 6pm tonight possible? (It was 9am) - he said no, we don't do viewings after 5.30

He then said maybe Saturday, I'll call you back this afternoon. He didn't.

If I was the vendor I'd be furious, this felt like active discouragement!

He asked was I registered with them and I said 'no, but you valued our house recently and we haven't put it in the market but we do like the look of this house' He said 'oh ok' and took my number.

So after the conversation above I wouldn't dream of instructing him tbh, even if we did like the house he's reluctant to show us.

I want to see it but I'm a bit irritated by all the above. WWYD?

SofiaAmes Tue 15-Dec-15 19:45:37

I was amazed when we interviewed agents to put our house on the market. There was such a wide spread of competence and I couldn't understand how the useless ones could possibly survive as agents since there were several who were outstanding. In the end I negotiated a multiple agent listing with a very reduced commission. It was definitely a good idea in retrospect because some of the ones that I thought were competent, turned out not to be.
You might also want to consider that the seller might be super difficult. We viewed a few houses where it was so clear that although the agent was good, the seller was so problematic that the agent gave up.

JennaRoss Tue 15-Dec-15 19:45:38

I wonder if it is one they are hoping to get cheap themselves?

Seeyounearertime Tue 15-Dec-15 19:45:55

I'd ask him why he's not bothered to sell the place and to earn his commission? Is there something wrong with the place or is his brother in law sleeping there?

VulcanWoman Tue 15-Dec-15 19:47:52

Jenna that was my thought too, maybe they have family/friends interested.

EssentialHummus Tue 15-Dec-15 19:50:27

YY to difficult sellers (or tenants). There are some houses where actually getting into the house is the most difficult part of the process.

I was genuinely astonished when I started looking for a property outside of London - agents day they'll call back, and they do!

EssentialHummus Tue 15-Dec-15 19:50:40

*say

Naoko Tue 15-Dec-15 19:53:57

Even if he's actually managed to put you off, can you drop a note through the door explaining how obstructive the agent is being? The vendors may thank you for it. I know I would.

StoptheRavelry Tue 15-Dec-15 20:14:37

He's already sold it IMO

dodobookends Tue 15-Dec-15 20:36:28

If it's cheap and needs doing up then the agent will already know which of their property developer/investor contacts (friends) they are going to sell it to.

Twistedheartache Tue 15-Dec-15 20:40:06

Was it gibbs gillespie? I had this problem a couple of times when I was looking.
Probably already got someone in mind

lifesalongsong Tue 15-Dec-15 20:43:46

I'd put a note through the door expaining the problem with the agent and ask them outright why they a reluctant to show you round.

On the face of it it does sound a bit dodgy

Whatamuckingfuddle Tue 15-Dec-15 20:49:26

They're selling to someone they know who doesn't want to pay full price. I'd contact the vendors if possible to warn them. I know someone who felt they weren't getting much interest so they called the EAs and asked if they had a house basically exactly like the one they were selling. The EA claimed to have nothing on their books similar to what they were looking for, they dis instructed them before they found out why for sure

m0therofdragons Tue 15-Dec-15 20:49:43

Your house isn't on the market. Round here many agents won't let you view houses unless you're already on the market. That might be why he's not rushing. He also may just be rubbish. We went to the Ford garage and said "we're looking for an s max or galaxy, ideally a couple of years old but would consider new if you have any deals on" reply from sales guy "you'll be lucky. We don't have any used ones at all. And I've nothing to show you." He was competely disinterested in selling to us. It's bizarre op.

evelynj Tue 15-Dec-15 21:01:27

I like the idea of phoning & describing the house to ask if they've got anything like it.

When we were shown round this house the EA said as he was opening the front door, 'not everyone likes this house, it's a bit of a strange shape' & proceeded to complain about everything. It was listed as a 3 bed, (it's a 4/5) & there was no photo online of the amazing large living room which is the best room in the house! Some businesses are just really poor-hope you can work it to your advantage somehow!

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Tue 15-Dec-15 21:02:00

We've had a few similar experiences - on one occasion we had driven 150 miles to view a handful of properties and passed a lovely project house with for sale board up in the same area. Called the EA, said we were only around for one day and were told they weren't doing viewings that day (the house was empty). Think that one sold to a developer chum.

Another time we had again booked several viewings before travelling and tried to get one for a rather interesting looking period house, but were told they couldn't get hold of the vendor but to call the office when we were in the area on the Saturday. Turned out the vendor had gone on holiday without telling the EA - no wonder that one was for sale 18 months later! Despite insisting we were only interested in sprawling character houses that same EA kept emailing us details of tiny modern bungalows hmm

Our current house we drove 200 miles to view. We explained to the EA we were travelling long distance, but despite it being a big old (vacant) house with loads of nooks, crannies and a garden to match, the EA chivvied us around and whilst we were viewing the garden she locked the door so that when we returned to the house intending to explore things further she was already to leave, informing us she had another appointment. I think we got less than half an hour there in total. We actually made a complaint to her manager and I was convinced there was something dodgy going on. Second viewing we insisted we needed an hour minimum at the property and actually stayed almost two, before making an offer........

wickedwaterwitch Tue 15-Dec-15 23:41:08

Oh thanks for all these replies

I think I might put a note through the vendor's door...

I reckon he's sold it to a mate

Interesting

freakonomics.com/2011/07/22/want-to-jump-start-the-housing-market-get-rid-of-the-realtors/

wickedwaterwitch Tue 15-Dec-15 23:42:04

(Incidentally we could probably buy this house without selling ours but he doesn't know that because he didn't ask!)

lugo40 Wed 16-Dec-15 06:50:03

We had our previous house on with a high street agent for 3 months, had very little viewing and very little feedback as to why. Took it off and put it on with high street agent. THe experience was incomparable - a professional photographer who took fantastic photos rather than a disinterested agent with a camera. WE wrote the description ourselves really highlighting its features. It sold within a week of going on the market to the first person who viewed it and only paid £200 fee.

We later tried to view houses through the high street agent and were appalled at how difficult it was to arrange a viewing - no wonder we had hardly any viewings! i think they just bung it on right move and hope it sells itself. I would never use a high street agent again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now