Talk

Advanced search

How much oil do you use?

(33 Posts)
SayrraT Tue 15-Dec-15 18:27:07

Just wondering if people with oil fired central heating could tell me how much oil they use per year/month or whatever?

We seem to have used lots in the short time we've had our new house, I'll tell you what we've used once I see if it is normal or not!

We also have a rayburn (cooking only) which is on idle/low the majority of the time as we aren't living in the house just now because we are in the process of doing it up.

notafanofwinter Tue 15-Dec-15 18:35:43

We used about 3000 L a year. Big draughty old house.
No gas where we live.

YeOldeTrout Tue 15-Dec-15 18:42:41

1217 litres/yr from 2005-2014, or £542. 5 bed det. house with good insulation in windy location, southern Britain.

YeOldeTrout Tue 15-Dec-15 18:43:06

£542/yr....

cathpip Tue 15-Dec-15 18:45:53

2000 litres last year, live in North Yorkshire and the ch is put on for around 7 hours a day and we have a 5 bed house.

RakeMeHomeCountryToads Tue 15-Dec-15 18:50:31

1500 litres per year in a 5 bed house on a windy coast.

Sunnyshores Tue 15-Dec-15 18:55:52

Those using 2000l a year, assume thats without a rayburn/Aga?

My Aga (when on lpg) cost £25 a week/ £100pm - how many litres of fuel is that?

SayrraT Tue 15-Dec-15 19:01:02

So approx. 600 litres in 6 weeks is quite a lot then?!

We got the house on 2nd November and I bought 800 litres oils on the 10th November. Our oil "watchman" was reading 1 when I ordered and 5 once the 800l was added. This week the watchman was down at 2 and the oil level in tank (it seems to be a big one ~2000 litres?) was 39 inches. Today I had 1000 litres delivered and watchman reading is 6.

I think that each number on the watchman is ~200 litres.

The house is currently very drafty as we've taken walls and ceilings down to replace them, we are also adding lots of insulation. I'm hoping that once we get the place insulated and we move in that the oil usage will go down.

We can always get rid of the rayburn if it is that which is using most of the oil, at the moment though it is the only cooker and since we will be doing up the kitchen in time I don't want to buy an electric cooker now.

Chasingsquirrels Tue 15-Dec-15 19:03:29

Around 1,100 per year.
That's heating & hot water (combi boiler).
Cooking is electric.
4 bed, 16 year old house.

Purplehonesty Tue 15-Dec-15 19:09:19

It will be your Rayburn I agree.

But it depends - we once used a tank of oil in about a month as we didn't know how to use the hearing when we moved in!

Now we spend £65 a month - two oil deliveries a year 1000 litres total.

We keep it on all the time with the thermostat to about 18.

Ours is an old barn conversion which we have had well insulated

YeOldeTrout Tue 15-Dec-15 19:15:44

SayrraT, can you get the roof insulated ASAP?

yeah, forgot to say, our cooker is electric. Some hot water also on electric.
We only turn on the heating when we're in & feeling chilled. Small wood burner, too.

YeOldeTrout Tue 15-Dec-15 19:16:17

Usually you need to buy at least 900 litres in one go to get the best price.

SayrraT Tue 15-Dec-15 19:19:14

purple yes, I also think that we might not know how to use the heating and it might be on all the time just now grin

That is another thing we will organise properly once we move in and I'm hoping it will help once we've got all the drafty bits sorted.

readyforno2 Tue 15-Dec-15 19:23:44

Hi Sayra!
We're in a first floor flat so get a degree of heat from downstairs. We probably use about 1000-1500 per year.
On a slightly different (but related) line of thought, you should look into whether there is an oil buying group going on in your area. We are part of one here and it can make a fair difference to the price. Try a local Facebook page?

SayrraT Tue 15-Dec-15 19:24:38

YeOldeTrout I insulated the roof in one of the bedrooms today (no ceiling!), we had been waiting for a visit from British Gas to see if we qualified for the free loft insulation but we don't.

We've got tonnes of kingspan (not kingspan but the same type of stuff) 100mm thick and have put it in the eaves, roof, ceiling and against all the walls. It immediately feels better, can't wait to get the plasterboard up.

We did the new bathroom last week and started plastering this week, the new DG windows arrive for the bathroom this week too.

Double glazing will also be going in the other windows too but we are still exploring options for this.

SayrraT Tue 15-Dec-15 19:26:47

Hi ready grin Yes, a facebook friend just told me that there is a buying group in WL (are you not in, or very near, my area?) so I will join that. Got our oil today for 30.5p per litre

YeOldeTrout Tue 15-Dec-15 19:27:26

Are the exterior walls all solid? Not cavities you could get filled, are they?

SayrraT Tue 15-Dec-15 19:58:45

No, it is a Victorian (built 1893 ish) house. We've taken off the old lath and plaster (in some rooms that needed it) and then built a wooden frame thingy and put insulation into that then plasterboard over the top.

I've attached some pictures smile

YeOldeTrout Tue 15-Dec-15 20:04:38

Gorgeous potential... have you sealed that chimney up in some kind of way right now? Can easily lose a tonne of heat up them. Which rooms are you actually heating, presumably only the rooms you are living in, but rooms that are building sites not being heated?

SayrraT Tue 15-Dec-15 20:20:38

Yes, I made the mistake of clearing the dirt from it then we had a draft! I've got an old duvet up it as a temporary measure but we will get it done properly.

We've only got radiators on in rooms we are in, not actually moved yet but need to be out of rented flat by 2nd January shock so Christmas is cancelled this year!

We have three original fires which we are keeping, two upstairs will just be decorative but working downstairs. In the main living room we will change the ugly fire (not original) to a wood burner.

Kitchen is in a "modern" (20 year old) extension so it is insulated and the only decent room in the house. Though if the rest of the house was up to date then you'd definitely need a new kitchen, as it is the kitchen looks amazing grin

readyforno2 Tue 15-Dec-15 20:25:14

Yep, I'm in WL. Not sure how much they got it for this time as I didn't need any but it was around that I think. It's not a huge saving but maybe £20-30
Are you close enough to join? Aren't you closer to Peebles?

Salene Tue 15-Dec-15 20:27:04

1200L tank

1 tank lasted April to November then 2/3 tanks December to April

SayrraT Tue 15-Dec-15 20:27:44

We were in peebles but not now, new house is close to Biggar. I imagine that Biggar might have a similar club so I will ask around.

SayrraT Tue 15-Dec-15 20:28:57

Salene do you have an Aga/Rayburn or is that just for your central heating and hot water?

Salene Tue 15-Dec-15 20:29:34

Should of said brand new house (2013) 5 bedrooms

Oil radiators throughout

So we using 3000/4000 L per year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now