Talk

Advanced search

Desperately need help with our bathroom plan!

(10 Posts)
gabbybaby Tue 15-Dec-15 09:43:11

This is the family bathroom. We also have a large en suite with a big shower. The old separate toilet has been knocked through to the bathroom, but we have kept the wall where it was so that we retained a wall on the landing to put a radiator, which we couldn't have had if we'd squared off the bathroom. So where the toilet used to be seems the obvious place for a big shower. Our issue now is fitting everything else in. I didn't particularly want the toilet next to the bath, although we may not have any choice given the space. What's the general opinion on the toilet being next to the bath? We want to fit in some storage so that we can store towels in the bathroom, but worried about walking into the room to the tall unit. But I'm not sure there is anywhere we could move it to. Does anyone have any great inspiration? The builder urgently needs us to let him know the layout so that he can do the plumbing, like today! Any suggestions or alternative options greatly appreciated! TIA

Madblondedog Tue 15-Dec-15 10:06:14

I think toilet next to bath is quite common - wouldn't be something that I would think of. I find that more sensible than next to the sink really. How deep is the tall unit? If its shallow it wouldn't be too intrusive.

wowfudge Tue 15-Dec-15 10:14:25

If you don't have the toilet cistern boxed in you could put the loo next to the sink and a cupboard in the corner - could be wider, but lower. Radiator on the wall where you currently have a tall unit or wall mounted above the cupboard.

In fact put the sink closer to the bath and the loo between the sink and the shower and you can have a more steamlined arrangement of cupboards including the vanity under the sink perhaps?

gabbybaby Tue 15-Dec-15 10:14:50

Thanks Madblondedog. None of the furniture is actually chosen yet. We just need the plan so that the builder can do the plumbing. We definitely want to have some kind of storage, but will maybe save that until the rest of the bathroom is finished, so that we can then decide what size to get. What about the unit being right up to the bath? Do you think that would be an issue? Although I'm not sure there is any alternative anyway

gabbybaby Tue 15-Dec-15 10:17:51

Wowfudge - the problem with putting a unit in the corner is that I'm not sure there will be room to open it. That's what we were trying to come up with a plan for, but there doesn't seem to be a way to fit it all in and still have enough space for open the cupboard door.

namechangedtoday15 Tue 15-Dec-15 11:27:03

I would re-think the storage. Can you go for a sink unit like this (or something similar where you can store towels underneath)? I think the tall unit doesn't really work where it is at the moment because of the positioning of the door - unless it is not very deep (and if it isn't very deep, how useful would it be to store towels anyway?).

I also think that wall is the perfect place for the towel radiator rather than next to the toilet (not very hygenic and any sitting on the loo looks like they'd burn their legs - certainly if you have young children it wouldn't be my choice).

namechangedtoday15 Tue 15-Dec-15 11:28:30

like this

gabbybaby Tue 15-Dec-15 11:47:46

you're right about the placing of the towel rail there, both with it being unhygienic and burning legs. I hadn't thought of that. We're looking now for corner units or shelving that might work instead.

wowfudge Tue 15-Dec-15 12:36:20

Okay - put the sink with a storage unit underneath next to the end of the bath and the loo where the shower is. Radiator on wall by the door - either side will work. That way the bath and sink drain to the same place and it should be relatively easy to have the toilet connected to the existing soil pipe as it will be just a few feet further along if I've understood correctly.

wowfudge Tue 15-Dec-15 12:37:38

Sorry - I've confused the door positioning. There's only a wall to the left as you enter the bathroom so I'd put the rad there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now