Talk

Advanced search

Is this realistic price - boiler in extension SE

(15 Posts)
NameRanger Sun 13-Dec-15 17:19:03

We're doing an extension and have just got a quite back for some plumbing.

It's £5.5k and that includes;

Removing and installing new boiler (we have a system boiler and don't want to change to combi so a new boiler will be installed and moved into the extension)
Room star
2 x rads + valves
15mm, 22mm, 28mm copper and fittings
CO2 alarm

Price also includes flushing and 2x men for 7 days.

I'm in the SE.

Thanks.

NameRanger Sun 13-Dec-15 17:19:28

PettsWoodParadise Sun 13-Dec-15 17:44:30

There will be costs for building regulations as any new heating system requires this (make sure you get the certificate - different from gas safe). Some interpretations of the building regs would imply that if you replace a boiler it has to be a condensing boiler which personally I hate but gather the regs can be otherwise interpreted too, I don't know the full ins and outs but when we removed a boiler and got a new one installed about four years ago it cost about £3,500 with one new rad in the bathroom and minor pipe work. In outer London suburbs.

NameRanger Sun 13-Dec-15 17:57:49

Thanks Petts. My understanding was that you used to have to have a combi if you changed your boiler but now they've relaxed the rules again and you don't? We want to keep our system boiler as we like the airing cupboard!

I don't know if £5.5k is a fair price or not. It is for 2 men for a week and moving the location of the boiler etc so there's a lot more pipe work involved.

lighteningirl Sun 13-Dec-15 18:59:03

We paid £4,800 for new boiler, New wiring, clearing all old pipes and old boiler from old kitchen (changed it to a bedroom and moved kitchen across property), clearing old airing cupboard and new tank resited in loft, 2 new rads and solar reconnected. We're in the SE so I don't think that quote is far off. We had two other quotes one was nearly £6,000.

lighteningirl Sun 13-Dec-15 19:00:15

Boiler was resited in loft too

JT05 Sun 13-Dec-15 19:11:14

Get a quote from British Gas and see how it compares.

Manopaws Sun 13-Dec-15 19:12:46

I payed about £3500 for a new boiler in My bungalow in Suffolk but that included all new pipework and rads. (Well a whole new system really).

The builder really undercut himself and lost money on the job but give him his dues he stuck to his original quote.

expect to pay around £3k for direct replacement and more if you want it moved so quote doesn't seem that far out.

get another couple of quotes if you can

NameRanger Sun 13-Dec-15 20:58:55

Thanks everyone. I'll get another couple of quotes and see how they compare.

I knew it would be expensive but didn't think it would be quite that much...

Spanglecrab Mon 14-Dec-15 14:01:07

Boilers vary in price. Does the quote specify a brand?

NameRanger Mon 14-Dec-15 16:45:32

It was a Baxi one Spangle.

Spanglecrab Tue 15-Dec-15 10:34:27

How far is the boiler moving? I'll be honest it seems a lot.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 15-Dec-15 12:36:26

www.onlineboilers.co.uk/all/baxi-boilers

Other than a couple of combi boilers, I can't find a Baxi model over £1k so on that basis it looks quite high to me me. Check that the quote also includes VAT if they are vat registered.

This is useful - ie the comments section though it dates from 2011 but inflation has been low for the past 5 years
www.mybuilder.com/questions/v/136/is-it-worth-power-flushing-an-11-year-old-worcester-boiler-plus-6-radiators

Are you installing a megaflo system? You will need a lot of new bits and pieces then I think

NameRanger Tue 15-Dec-15 13:10:01

They're not vat registered.

The boiler is moving about 5m onto an outside wall (boiler is currently on inside wall with flue going up chimney). The gas pipe will be running down the side of our house so no fiddly bends etc and the water pipes will just go up and through the joist space (not sure that is the right wording but our ceiling isn't up yet so pipes will just run through the space so not many bends etc, just up and over).

No megaflow that I know of.

This is what it includes:

Baxi system boiler
Room stat
Magna clean
Scale reducer
Co2 alarm
2 x rads + valves
copper pipe and fittings

Thanks.

batshitlady Tue 15-Dec-15 13:20:17

British gas will charge you even more, don't bother with them thieves is my advice...

5.5k sounds high to me too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now