Talk

Advanced search

Help-cooker not working. Any ideas?

(11 Posts)
TwoTonTessie Sun 13-Dec-15 10:16:50

It's a single fan oven. None of the lights are working and there is no heat but when you switch it on the fan makes a whirring noise so there must be power going through. Could it be the thermostat? I can order replacement parts online if I know what the problem is. We can't afford a new one this close to Christmas sad

Sychnant Sun 13-Dec-15 13:14:26

Sounds silly, but does it have a digital clock/timer? If it does, and this isn't set to a time, the oven won't work.

Otherwise - no idea, sorry sad

TwoTonTessie Sun 13-Dec-15 14:18:48

No, there's no timer on it. I can't understand what's wrong with it.

PigletJohn Sun 13-Dec-15 15:32:28

thermostat would not stop the lights working.

Usually, when you open the door, does the fan stop? Does that happen today?

Is it a cooker or an oven? All electric or part gas?

TwoTonTessie Sun 13-Dec-15 17:39:08

It's an electric fan oven (gas hob on top). Once the the control is switched to fan it starts whirring and remains that way whether the door is open or shut confused

PigletJohn Sun 13-Dec-15 18:44:26

do the igniters for the gas hob work?

What are these lights that don't work?

southwest1 Sun 13-Dec-15 18:57:28

My fan oven recently stopped working. It came on but there was no heat. It needed a new fan element. I got someone in to fix it as I wasn't sure about doing it myself but now I've seen how easy it is I'd do it myself next time and save the money.

GloriaHotcakes Sun 13-Dec-15 19:00:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ginmakesitallok Sun 13-Dec-15 19:02:36

It sounds like the element, I changed the one on our oven when it went- very straightforward. Just Google for the element and then you tube for video of how to change it. Take a photo of the year old one before you disconnect it and put the new one in the same way.

Dp was impressed at my electrical skills, when in reality it was a piece of piss!

TwoTonTessie Sun 13-Dec-15 21:11:52

Gas hob works fine pigletjohn. The lights are the interior oven light and a red light on the front when it is switched on.

PigletJohn Mon 14-Dec-15 00:05:45

then it sounds to me like a fault on the oven switch or wiring. I can't see any way a burned-out element would stop the oven light or indicator light from working. The red indicator light probably runs through the thermostat, but not the oven light. It would be interesting to change the interior oven lamp for a new one to check.

If so, it needs an Appliance mender.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now