Talk

Advanced search

dishwasher not working

(10 Posts)
LondonEasy Sat 12-Dec-15 23:24:39

When dishwasher blocked last week, a friend Looked for where the grey waste hose from the appliance joins the drain, under the sink. He extended it with temporary hose, Pulled it out to see if it was blocked. it wasn't i put some caustic soda dissolved with 1 litre down the sink for 30mins and that cleared it.

So ran the dishwasher fine for a week. It stopped a couple of days ago. i put down caustic soda, it worked.

Dishwasher stopped today again, caustic soda won't work. Does anyone know something I can buy tomorrow to clear sink. I guess its the U bend that gots something in it. Can you dissolve caustic soda in a glass jug? Is the jug ok to use after cleaning it? My friend not around to pull out hose but sure it must be the sink blocked. Water moves down the sink ok, so not completely blocked.

wowfudge Sat 12-Dec-15 23:34:14

It sounds as though you don't have a blockage in the pipe work - it's something else.

LondonEasy Sun 13-Dec-15 02:52:42

Hmmm have no idea what that could be. Is it an expensive plumber job?

ishouldcocoa Sun 13-Dec-15 03:36:51

My dishwasher seized up a few days ago. I got the manual out, and discovered a piece of plastic had become detached underneath the filters at the base of the machine.
Suggest you take the machine apart and give it a good pre Christmas service, and then if all else fails, call a plumber ASAP!

wowfudge Sun 13-Dec-15 08:41:47

Can you hear the machine pumping when it gets to the draining part of the cycle? If not then it's nothing to do with the pipes and you need to get an engineer to look at it.

If it is trying to drain then it almost sounds as though there could be an obstruction in the dishwasher hose. I would disconnect that where it feeds into the sink pipework, but be very careful given you have put caustic soda down there recently. See if there is something in the dishwasher hose - maybe have a poke around with a wooden skewer? If there isn't anything, is the hose correctly supported to give the right angle of fall to where it drains? Could it be that there is something moving the drain hose out of position? That is pretty easy to fix, you just need to tie it in place somehow.

Other than that,

PigletJohn Sun 13-Dec-15 09:29:22

Caustic soda is a very aggressive chemical and not suitable for dishwashers.

Where is the blockage, and what is it? Cooking fat? Tealeaves? Hair? Mud?

You should not put any of those examples in a dishwasher or down a sink.

The flexible waste hose from a dishwasher or a washing machine should be looped up so the top of the loop is higher than the water level in the sink it is attached to. Otherwise when you pull out the sink plug, dirty water will run down the hose and into the machine.

LondonEasy Sun 13-Dec-15 11:03:10

Oh, dear it sounds like a plumber job. I have poured down about 9 kettles of boiled water will that moved the caustic soda out of the system?

LondonEasy Sun 13-Dec-15 11:03:50

Wowfudge, no water comes in so nothing to drain.

PigletJohn Sun 13-Dec-15 11:09:56

Possibly the flood detector switch under the dishwasher has tripped due to a leak. Pull it away from the wall, tilt it backwards (not forwards), see if water runs out of the dish.

LondonEasy Sun 13-Dec-15 23:51:20

Ok thank you, will try `and do this tomorrow with someone/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now