Talk

Advanced search

Replacing old French Doors - Is a composite door the best choice?

(8 Posts)
Monica101 Sat 12-Dec-15 19:50:21

I have to replace some old wooden french doors with something new, has anyone done this recently?

Is composite the best choice, or should I think of bi fold. It faces on to a cold, north facing garden so I wouldn't particularly want to have them open much. Are we talking over 2k! Such a lot for a french door.

Thanks in advance.

Moving15 Tue 15-Dec-15 14:06:49

When I tried to get a single garden door replaced it was over 1k so over 2k for French doors sounds typical. External doors are usually better value if done as part off a bigger package of windows etc.
Can you not refurbish the existing wooden doors?

allwornout0 Tue 15-Dec-15 14:10:59

I would have thought UPVC would be fine. I paid about £1200 about 14 years ago for mine so £2000 for double UPVC French doors would sound about right.

StoptheRavelry Tue 15-Dec-15 14:11:35

Refurbish them or replace with wooden - seriously don't get UPVC, it'll never be nice, and will really affect the value of your house I think.

I know it's expensive...sigh

StoptheRavelry Tue 15-Dec-15 14:11:58

You could get wooden ones for that!!

allwornout0 Tue 15-Dec-15 14:33:30

UPVC look perfectly fine, nothing wrong with them at all. Although depending on the age/style of your house it may be better to keep the same type as you already have.

StoptheRavelry Tue 15-Dec-15 14:38:24

yy UPVC is fine on a more modern house

It never really fits with the structure of a Victorian house, which is what I'm imagining from the OP.

Monica101 Tue 15-Dec-15 22:53:32

Thanks for replies. Eurgh why are doors so expensive! It's a 1930s semi so uvpc won't look great. But house not worth a lot so I don't need to have the best either.

Composite door quote was £2200. I could refurbish old ones but they are single glazed so not much good.

I will get a uvpc quote to compare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now