Talk

Advanced search

Where can I buy a good wall rail/bannister?

(7 Posts)
RoastieToastieReastie Sat 12-Dec-15 06:08:43

The sort that goes up the stairs attached just on a wall.

We need a new one urgently and I've been googling fr ages and can't find any anywhere that aren't the basic did chain type offering. I've also looked at salvage places but no luck there either. We have a Victorian house and narrow stAirs so it can't be too big. I like the idea if one made of beautiful wood but can't find anywhere that does this.

I know mn know great ideas fr places and hoping someone can help me.

ElBandito Sun 13-Dec-15 21:42:13

Homebase sell Richard Burbidge hand rails, but only pine ones I think. Try the richardburbidge.com web site and look for stockists they have some quite nice end caps.

Aftershock15 Sun 13-Dec-15 21:49:26

My builders had to get one specially made as we wanted oak. All the off the shelf ones were too short (and our stairs aren't especially long!)

Not very helpful but possibly why you are having a problem.

RaisingSteam Sun 13-Dec-15 22:51:40

We have a "pigs ear" handrail stained and waxed to blend in with other woodwork - it's the most space efficient sort. Or is that what you wanted to avoid?

here

Alternatively the sort which is like pole with a flat base (mopstick) and brackets like these from a reproduction hardware supplier.
Have you got corners or is it a straight run? Did you want a traditional look?

Cressandra Mon 14-Dec-15 00:02:39

They are surprisingly hard to buy simply online. I spent many evenings on t'interweb, I wanted something a bit more interesting than a mopstick.

We went with Dave Dalby and can heartily recommend. He can do snail ends or just finish them off with a nice curve. Ours is sapele, one piece with ready finished ends, and it pleases me greatly smile. We just put it up on a few brackets and varnished.

RoastieToastieReastie Mon 14-Dec-15 19:21:16

Thanks man this is interesting. I like the snails end ideas and the pigs ear one is the sort I'm trying to avoid. I'd also prefer not a pine.

Got some links to look at now thanks but none local and I'm slightly concerned about delivery costs, but shall investigate.

Cressandra Mon 14-Dec-15 20:09:00

Yes, delivery is pricey. I decided to just think about the overall cost, and not what was rail and what delivery. I couldn't transport ours in my fiesta anyway. Brackets are much cheaper on ebay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now