Talk

Advanced search

Possibly stupid question about selling/viewing

(21 Posts)
AdoraBell Thu 10-Dec-15 15:56:20

When you view a house do you want the sellers to vacate so that you can speak to the agent, or do you speak to agent while viewing regardless of the sellers being at home?

lalalonglegs Thu 10-Dec-15 16:00:04

It can work either way. The EA may be more open without seller breathing down his neck, equally a you can cross-reference any claims he makes with the sellers if they are present.

Shakey15000 Thu 10-Dec-15 16:00:27

Ideally vendors would be out so you could be completely honest on your way round. Difficult when they're there aside from a polite "hmm not sure our furniture would fit in here", a fail safe for "nah far too small" and suchlike. But its not a problem to give feedback after either. We viewed a property recently and didn't even get asked for feedback confused

OurBlanche Thu 10-Dec-15 16:02:22

1st viewing, vendors would ideally be out, to allow the viewers an opportunity to discuss the property as they walk round without feeling obliged to be polite lie

JT05 Thu 10-Dec-15 16:03:43

Our agent spoke to the viewers on the phone, the next day and got feedback.
Mind you, some of the feed back can be confused. If you're the one selling, be prepared for some outlandish comments!

LaFlottes Thu 10-Dec-15 16:08:12

I always think it's best if the vendors are out as it's a bit awkward otherwise.

We once sold a house which was a conversion and split over 4 floors, as it had a little kind of tower room (sounds more grand than it was). One person's feedback was that it had too many stairs!! Not sure how they thought they were going to get to the 4th floor!! Jump? Fly? It would have made us laugh if we hadn't been so desperate to sell!

Mydearchild Thu 10-Dec-15 16:10:30

I decided to do all the viewings on our home which was block bookings over a weekend. I asked the viewers if they wanted to wander round by themselves or if they wanted me to show them around, it was a mixed bag. Imo the estate agents can't answer questions like the owner. What are the neighbours like, what are the energy bills costing etc.

HeadDreamer Thu 10-Dec-15 16:17:07

I don't want the vendors in either. I want to have an honest discussion with DH when viewing. I would feel bad saying not so nice thing about a place if the vendor is around.

AdoraBell Thu 10-Dec-15 16:17:23

I am the one selling JT05 but I don't give a flying feck about opinions, if someone wants to buy and immediately fix the dire decor, in their opinion, that's fine by me.

Thanks everyone.

HeadDreamer Thu 10-Dec-15 16:18:35

What are the neighbours like? I doubt the owners would be honest, especially if it's neighbours from hell.

M48294Y Thu 10-Dec-15 16:27:07

I like the owners to be there. I ask tons of questions that the agent can't possibly know the answer to.

I am very experienced in doing house viewings (having worked as an EA myself) so I'm pretty sure about what is important/relevant.

M48294Y Thu 10-Dec-15 16:28:19

And neighbours is one of the most crucial things tbh!

specialsubject Thu 10-Dec-15 16:33:04

I sold a house where the agent did the viewings, we were asked to stay out of the way, usually in the garden.

bought in a different area where most agents never leave the office so viewings always done by the owners.

purplepolkadots Thu 10-Dec-15 16:38:43

Best to have owners there, so that if you like it you can ask them questions.
You can chat with the agent outside, after viewing.

Moving15 Thu 10-Dec-15 19:12:46

When selling I prefer to be absent.
When buying I prefer to have the vendor present.
Contradiction I know!

RingDownRingUp Thu 10-Dec-15 19:19:42

Ideally vendor absent on the first viewing.

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Thu 10-Dec-15 21:48:08

We've experienced both - EAs that prefer to conduct the viewings and those that expect the vendor to do them.

Last time we sold our EA fully intended to do the viewings and for us to be absent which suited us fine as it meant we could get the boisterous dogs out of the way but this didn't work out due to staff shortages and out of the five viewings it took to sell, we conducted three ourselves (dogs were not present grin) and whilst the two viewings the EA did resulted in no offers, the three we did resulted in offers - one at asking price! Personally I feel that however enthusiastic the EA (and ours were considered to be some of the best in the area), the vendor can provide far more relevant info than an EA who has many other properties to sell......

Otoh, I can appreciate that some prospective buyers would rather not have the vendor present and that some vendors don't feel comfortable showing their home - I love doing it wink

purplepolkadots Fri 11-Dec-15 12:09:32

If you really like the house you are selling, the neighbours, etc, then why not be there - your positive vibe should help.

CFSsucks Fri 11-Dec-15 13:33:06

I hated having the vendor there when I was buying. I felt awkward. One house, the EA showed us around but the vendor followed us from room to room. I found it really awkward and annoying. When we went for the second viewing, the whole family was there and the man kept us talking for ages when I just wanted to go.

The house we did buy, the vendor was there but she kept out of the way more, talked a bit (to my friend, I think she actually thought it was her who was buying so possibly why she left me alone). I had to show someone around the house we were selling and I also hate that. I was in for my viewings but stayed in one place and answered any questions that were asked.

AdoraBell Fri 11-Dec-15 13:43:44

Thanks again.

Pico2 Fri 11-Dec-15 13:56:09

For our first house, we got better offers with the EA doing the viewings. I prefer to have the EA do them to sell, but it has to be the actual EA, not someone they employ here and there for a few hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now