Talk

Advanced search

who has water softener installed ?

(14 Posts)
ggirl Wed 09-Dec-15 18:16:48

getting a quote
anyhting i need heads up about?

Millymollymama Wed 09-Dec-15 20:48:49

Where are you going to put it? How quiet is it? How big is it? Mine takes up most of a cupboard in the kitchen. We are in a very hard water area so it is worth it. No downsides as far as I can see. You must have a tap that takes water from the mains without going through the softener. You need somewhere to store the salt it uses - we tend to buy quite big bags.

ggirl Wed 09-Dec-15 20:52:28

no idea where it will go
he's going to help us with that i think
under the sink in the kitchen i'm guessing

also in very hard water area and have wanted this for yrs

any idea how much you paid for installation?

RandomMess Wed 09-Dec-15 20:56:04

Had no regrets getting one, was fitted as part of major work so no idea about installation cost. We had a slimline one so the size of half a kitchen cupboard installed by the stopcock and had a separate water filter tap for drinking so the main kitchen tap had filtered hot and cold water.

Was pure bliss...

ggirl Wed 09-Dec-15 21:01:43

yes I am assuming we'll have filtered water tap as well

really can't wait to have no limescale stains

RandomMess Wed 09-Dec-15 21:01:50

This is the one we had from local independent plumbing suppliers

"There are several ways to provide ‘conditioned water’ for a house, but the most commonly recognised is the water softener. We supply softeners from several manufacturers, but one we can fully recommend and endorse is the Atlantis AT210, which we have been offering for about six years. During that time we have had only the smallest problems with estimated breakdowns of less than one a year! It is offered as either standard (conventional coldwater storage tank) or highflow (pressurised water system) options."

They said the designer had worked for several other companies and basically pinched the best solutions from each one to build his own!!!!

RandomMess Wed 09-Dec-15 21:03:02

We even got a black kitchen sink, and the shower only needed cleaning after about a month if kept bladed down after each use...

ggirl Wed 09-Dec-15 21:03:05

thanks
the guy coming also uses different makes depending on needs etc

ggirl Wed 09-Dec-15 21:04:03

I was gobsmacked when staying at brothers house for 2 weeks and the bathroom was kept so clean with minimal effort

RandomMess Wed 09-Dec-15 21:08:02

I grew up in a soft water area so living with hard core Thames Valley lime scale was always a bit traumatic for me!

PigletJohn Wed 09-Dec-15 21:46:17

the design of the machine is extremely simple, and they generally seem to use the proprietary Fleck mechanism, so I would take the "designer" claims with a pinch of salt.

I have used them for many years. You only need a small drinking-water dispenser. If you keep the main tap in the kitchen sink softened, you will avoid the limescale. The amount of sodium (there is never salt) in a gallon of softened tap water is tiny, much less than in coca-cola or a teaspoon of ketchup.

I like a big machine, it just means you have to fill it up less often as it can treat more water between cycles.

The sacks of salt, I now get 10kg bags which work out slightly dearer than 20kg, but are easier to carry and store. Never carry salt in your own car, a single spilled crystal will eat a hole in the floor. Look inside the delivery van and you will be shocked.

You must have softened water for your washing machine, but hard water for the garden tap. If you wash the car in softened water is will come cleaner and shinier, but there is a slight cost in paying for the softening.

Windows and mirrors are much easier to clean with softened water as it does not leave lime or watermarks. Your towels will be soft and absorbent. You won't need fabsoft, and only half the Persil. Within a month you will find yourself looking at women's hair and thinking "she hasn't got a softener." Try not to say it out loud.

ggirl Wed 09-Dec-15 21:49:41

hahahah ..peering at my hard water hair now

thanks for all the info

HelloItsMeAgain Wed 09-Dec-15 22:16:29

You can get reconditioned ones for quite a discount.

PigletJohn Wed 09-Dec-15 22:43:46

yes, I got my current one, rebuilt, from a chap in Essex, when I used to travel that way, and am very pleased with it. Might have been Ingatestone.

One of the other 'snetters got one from him and had a problem, though, as I recall.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now