Talk

Advanced search

Planning an extension/getting quotes

(3 Posts)
Mrsw28 Wed 09-Dec-15 15:36:55

Okay, so we would like to extend our pokey kitchen and incorporate a utility room and add on another downstairs reception/bedroom.

I have never done anything like this before and need to get some quotes from builders. I have asked on a local (village/small town) Facebook page for builder recommendations but I don't know how to go about asking them for a quote and how much I should expect to pay for a quote/plans to be drawn up.

Anyone have any advice? I don't want to come across too green and naive when I call th builders!!

Marmitelover55 Wed 09-Dec-15 19:53:00

We got an architect to draw up the plans first and then s structural engineer to do the required structural calculations. The architect submitted the plans for planning approval in our behalf and then did the more detailed plans for building regs. It was at this point that we sent the plans to 5 builders for them to quote. HTH.

Looseleaf Wed 09-Dec-15 20:00:15

We did same as marmite apart from getting a vague idea from contractors before the full plans were eventually sent to them for pricing. But I have a feeling the initial quotes won't be very relevant as we've added a lot eg carpentery so I'm braced for the new prices to be a bit of a shock!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now