Talk

Advanced search

Stiff shower controls - is there any easy way to remedy?

(6 Posts)
HeyMacWey Wed 09-Dec-15 12:44:45

I have a mira thermostatic shower - think it is the minilite one.
The knob that you turn to turn it on is getting stiffer and stiffer - it turns anti clockwise and now only gets as far as 7 oclock without needing to really use force. Luckily the water temp is just right at that temperature.
But I think its just going to get stiffer and stiffer over time. Is there an easy way to remedy? I'm happy to give it a go myself.

PigletJohn Wed 09-Dec-15 22:11:54

I think the spindle and seals are getting a limescale buildup. It is possible to dismantle the valve, descale it, polish up all the working parts with a green nylon scourer, and reassemble, preferably with new rubber seals and silicone grease, and it should then turn smoothly and not drip or leak.

The lime deposits will probably also dissolve away if you use it in a soft water environment for a while.

If you haven't done it before, I would hesitate to start unless you can do without the shower until you have finished. I doubt you will do it in less than 2 days, and something might go wrong. You might find parts are seized together and you need to soak it in descaler overnight, or you might have to buy an extra tool or service kit.

Have a look at the price of second-hand Mira showers on ebay from people who are refitting their bathrooms. If you are really lucky you will find a mixer in perfect condition. They will quite likely need the same work, but at least you can repair one while the other is still in service. This is especially worthwhile if you have two or more showers of the same type in your home, then you can refurb and swap them in turn.

With Aqualisa, you can buy a complete replacement cartridge and just exchange the internals if you wish. I don't know if this is possible with your Mira.

HeyMacWey Thu 10-Dec-15 08:48:22

Thanks John - shower is currently out of action as regrouting so sounds like a good time to do it. Good tip re: ebay for spares.
I'll need to turn the water off though won't I?

PigletJohn Thu 10-Dec-15 09:25:02

probably.

If the installation was well-designed, there will be service valves in the hot and cold supply pipes to the mixer. If you are fond of plumbing you can add them (get Pegler 15mm full-bore valves).

You will probably find a u-tube video on Mira Shower mixer strip, and a service pack of seals at Mira or ?Shower Spares? The rubber seals tend to get worn when they rub on rough scaly spindles

there is a company called Lunns that sells lots of tap spares, I don't remember if they do showers.

PigletJohn Thu 10-Dec-15 09:35:10

something like this, though yours is a newer model
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnTfj-8vA_Y

It is useful to lay a large white sheet over the table when you are dismantling, so you don't lose any bits. Take photos during dismantling to remind you how to reassemble. You can use an egg-box and put small parts in the little hollows.

HeyMacWey Thu 10-Dec-15 09:40:22

Thank you so much - will have a look and see if I think I can do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now