Advanced search

Architect? Designer? Builder?

(12 Posts)
Findmeinthekitchenatparties Wed 09-Dec-15 10:32:38

Hi all,
We have a 2.8 x 2.6m kitchen in a small victorian terrace. We would like to extend into the side return, so the space will then be 4.3 x 2.8m. Still on the small side but better than what we have. The aim is to bring the kitchen together with the dining room rather than the tacked on bit that it currently feels like. The wall between both won't be completely removed so it won't be completely open plan and therefore, hopefully, cheaper in building costs.

We have limited space and limited money so we don't want/need high spec, think more Ikea but upgraded with nice handles/sink/taps but we have no idea how to maximise the space in that footprint. We had a builder come round who suggested an Architectural Technologist who quoted for drawing up plans and submitting to the LA but he doesn't provide a design service.

I've looked on Rightmove, Houzz etc but all side returns seem to be on the larger scale. Ours is such a small space and I realise we will be limited but we need to get it right and I really feel I will need help in doing this.

Would an architect, interior designer or kitchen designer help with this? It certainly won't be grand so I don't want to spend lots of any money we save for the extension in design fees but I realise we need to make this space work.

Which would you go for? Architect? Kitchen designer?

lalalonglegs Wed 09-Dec-15 11:45:58

If I could afford it, I'd probably go for an architect because decent ones do (imo) have the best ideas on how to deal with space. They tend to think out of the box more than technologists/kitchen designers etc and will also have more idea of the technical challenges involved in the work they propose.

Before I commissioned anyone though, I would try and get into houses that had had similar work done to get some idea of the layouts and details that do/don't work. If any of your neighbours have done work, ask them if you can pop in and see it etc.

JT05 Wed 09-Dec-15 13:57:33

I would use a small Artitectural practice. They will have innovative ideas and suggestions that will save money in the end. Also they are backed by insurance, should things go wrong. Although this unlikely in a small project.

The RIBA run a scheme called Architect in the House. Clients pay a small fee to Shelter for a 'free' architectural consultation. If it's still running it might be a first port of call.

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 09-Dec-15 14:38:22

Did you look on the design dilemma section of Houzz too - there's more 'real life' problems and solutions there - rather than just the pretty pictures on the main part of the site ! Might offer a solution perhaps ?

Findmeinthekitchenatparties Wed 09-Dec-15 19:52:19

I think an architect is the way forward too. It's just such a modest house in a modest area it feels a little, umm, over ambitious!

Any tips on finding the right one? I don't know anyone who has done/ is planning this kind of work before that has used an Architect.

oneplan I've had a look at design dilemmas on Houzz but still haven't found anything. It's fun looking though!

tethersend Wed 09-Dec-15 19:58:06

Are you in London, OP?

Findmeinthekitchenatparties Wed 09-Dec-15 20:23:50

Yes I am!

JT05 Wed 09-Dec-15 20:29:22

The RIBA will have a list of Architects in your area.

Millymollymama Wed 09-Dec-15 20:43:31

I would also use an architect to design the area and use of the space. If PP is needed they will submit the plans and also do working drawings for the builder - where the drains go, size of roof beams, specs for Windows etc. I would normally ask a kitchen designer to design the kitchen. They know their oroducts best and the optimum layout for a given space. However if you insist on IKEA you may have to ask the architect to help so that electrical and plumbing requirements are known in advance. Changing your mind about where you want the sink to go at the last minute is disastrous.

CatKirk Wed 09-Dec-15 22:04:32

I don't think you need planning permission for that size (length) extension, it'd be permitted development unless you've got another extension.

Whereabouts in London are you? We're looking at the same thing.

CeeCee123 Wed 09-Dec-15 22:20:33

I can very highly recommend an excellent architect who worked on our house. She runs her own practice, is very innovative, thinks outside the box, great to work with. She also loves design, has a great eye and would easily be able to layout the kitchen design for you also. I think she compares very reasonably in terms of fees too. I can pm you her details if you are interested.

Findmeinthekitchenatparties Wed 09-Dec-15 22:56:39

I'm in SE London CatKirk and I didn't think I would need it either but the technologist suggested that I may still need to apply as the space measured 3m length.

Please do pm me CeeCee

Anyone know of anyone who has extended such a small space? Be interested to know if it worked.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: