Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know how to fix my tap?

(4 Posts)
LadyNellCardross Wed 09-Dec-15 09:55:16

My kitchen tap has started making a grinding noise and when I turn it on the hot water comes out very slowly. If I turn it fully it starts to lose the flow altogether. It's a mixer tap and the cold one is fine. My DH changed the washer last night but it hasn't fixed the problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

PigletJohn Wed 09-Dec-15 11:12:57

it might be the circlip on the spindle has come off. If you take the capstan or knob off, and the shroud, pull the spindle upwards (if it moves) and look for a groove round the spindle close to where it goes into the valve. There may be a small gland nut under it. If you are lucky you will see a horseshoe-shaped or semi-circular clip or washer on the spindle. It has to be pushed down so it clicks into the groove.

You don't need to turn the water off for that.

it might also be that the part with the washer has come out of its spiral thread. To look at that you have to turn off the water again and take the cartridge out. Put the knob or capstan back on and turn it, you should see the washer going up and down smoothly. It can come out of the thread if it is turned too far down while changing the washer. A bit of silicone grease on the moving parts helps, and clean off any limescale with a green pan scourer.

LadyNellCardross Wed 09-Dec-15 11:30:00

Thank you so much PigletJohn. Will try that.

PigletJohn Wed 09-Dec-15 11:36:59

pics

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now