Talk

Advanced search

help pigletjohn

(4 Posts)
jaffacake2 Tue 08-Dec-15 20:01:20

Radiator thermostat just come off in my hand . I was trying to turn it down as bedroom getting hot. Is it still ok to have the heating g on or will I start getting a water leak ? Seems dry at moment
Ideas anyone ?

Stasie Tue 08-Dec-15 20:14:41

Its Ok, you are supposed to be able to take them off and put those plain caps on for decorating and so on. It won't cause a leak - just screw it back on again.

jaffacake2 Tue 08-Dec-15 20:25:02

Thanks am so useless with plumbing having had disasters over the years

PigletJohn Wed 09-Dec-15 11:14:25

there is probably a knurled chrome nut on the bottom of the plastic top, that screws down onto the metal valve. Screw it up to max temp before putting it on/taking it off, as that reduces pressure on the pin. Only let it press the pin downwards, not sideways.

If the plastic part has broken, or the nut has come off it, you can get a new one if you know the make and model. Although spare parts are available, it is easier and cheaper to buy a complete new TRV and swap the tops.

The top is not a water part so it will not leak. Set the temp to about 3, or half way. You should not need to turn it up or down often, as the thermostat will maintain your desired temperature.

Turning the stat up does not make it heat up faster.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now