Talk

Advanced search

Outside Christmas lights with outside socket

(7 Posts)
WelshMoth Tue 08-Dec-15 06:09:23

I'm not sure that this is even the correct board.

I have a little tree at the bottom of my drive. I'd love to be able to drape some Christmas lights on it. I have no outside power though so how can I do this?

I have an outside utility room around the back of my property but that would mean at least 3 large extension leads and cables everywhere.

Am I day dreaming about the impossible? Driving home in the dark and arriving home to twinkly lights would be lovely.

Oh and I tried solar last year - to avoid the leads. Not enough sun in deepest darkest Wales.

Pointlessfan Tue 08-Dec-15 06:17:25

You can get battery powered ones, my local garden centre has them.

InQuiteAChristmasPickle Tue 08-Dec-15 06:23:07

We have solar powered lights round our trees. Got them from B&M where it was 2 for £18.

Floralnomad Tue 08-Dec-15 06:26:31

My husband fitted outside sockets at my mums several years ago it wasn't that difficult .

InQuiteAChristmasPickle Tue 08-Dec-15 06:26:37

Oh, I've just read that you've tried solar powered! fgrin

You can get battery powered ones. I'm not sure how long the battery will last though. We were looking at these but went for solar powered because we didn't want to have to keep changing the battery.

Not much sun here either but they seem to work ok.

Iamnotloobrushphobic Tue 08-Dec-15 06:28:11

I tried the solar lights from b&m and they were rubbish as not enough sun in winter to charge them.
Could you feed the cable through the nearest window and close the window clamping the wire in or leave the window locked ajar?

TheLesserSpottedBee Tue 08-Dec-15 07:19:59

The easiest option is battery powered lights.

The more difficult option is have an outside socket fitted (with a timer) but you will need armoured cable and I believe it has to be buried to a particular level with electrical tape over the top of it (from memory of my extension)

I'd go with battery powered grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now