Talk

Advanced search

Problem Neighbour

(11 Posts)
Freya15 Mon 07-Dec-15 20:00:07

I currently having real issues with my next door neighbour.
I've live in my current property for 7 years, never had to much problems with her until we added a new member to our family, our canine pal.

We have shared access at the rear of our properties. A narrow lobby which leads to the street.
She's using it as storage which makes it difficult to walk down to take the bins out, along with bird tables she's drilled into another neighbours wall...
The bird table keeps attracting rats, and recently a kestrel, which ripped a pigeon apart in my yard. Needless to say, there was a horrible mess to clean up.
On top of this, she leaves her yard gate open so her dogs have more room to roam!
They use the lobby as a toilet, and sit behind me yard door aggressively barking and banging the door, to get to my own dog.
I spoken to her, but she won't compromise. At all..

Any thoughts on what I can do...
I'm at the end of my tether.

lalalonglegs Mon 07-Dec-15 21:37:17

I can't quite visualise how your homes work - you have separate gardens but a shared hallway to get there? Are the properties leasehold? Can you complain to the freeholder? Are you tenants - talk to LL? She has to keep her dogs under control and it doesn't sound as if she is doing this - do you have a council dog warden? I would also consider Environmental Health if she is allowing her dogs to shit in your doorway. That's disgusting.

Freya15 Mon 07-Dec-15 22:20:50

We live in old victorian terraces. We have back yards with our own gates on them. Off those theres a lobby, that shated that gives us access to the street at the back of our homes.

The neighbours a home owner, and I rent.
The access belongs to both properties.

I spoke to her, and her response was to let them fight!! (The dogs)
I don't want my own or hers to be subjected to injury caused by a irresponsible dog owner. There's no winning with her, it's her way or no way.

But I've had enough, I've got anziety problems. And after allot of research bought my lad as a sort of therapy. Couldn't leave my home on my own at one point. But manage to do with him...

lalalonglegs Mon 07-Dec-15 22:37:22

Well, you can get the authorities involved - and I would be sorely tempted to do that as her behaviour is disgusting and quite weird (why does she want the dogs to fight confused?), start with EH - or you can give up your home of seven years... Sorry that you're going through this but if she's not willing to be reasonable, you're going to have to force her to be and it probably won't be pleasant.

Freya15 Tue 08-Dec-15 08:10:38

Thanks for your input, I'm going to get some advice from our local dog warden/ council.

Her behaviour is disgusting! People who have dogs and behave in that manner shouldn't be allowed the privilege of owning a dog!

howtorebuild Tue 08-Dec-15 08:17:05

She wants dog fights? confused I would ask the dog warden for advice on the neighbours ideas.

JonathanRolande Tue 08-Dec-15 12:46:53

Tricky situation hmm. Suggest you speak to your council.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 08-Dec-15 12:59:24

Speak to your landlord and say that you have done your best to resolve the situation amicably but that her antisocial behaviour is making your tenancy impossible and that you intend to give notice if it can't be resolved by X date. If you are a long term tenant then any sensible landlord would be right on top of that.

If you are a council tenant then presumably there are similar steps but less leverage to vote with your feet.

Do ASBO's still exist? grin

bimandbam Tue 08-Dec-15 13:08:32

If you have been there 7 years I would speak to your landlord. Is it a passageway you share? I had a similar situation with my ex ndn. They had a gate at the top of the passageway as they didn't want anyone knocking on their front door which was in the passageway.

I didn't want the gate as it was knackered and the lock kept sticking and it meant my mail went into the passageway and blew away.

I spoke to my landlord who told them he was taking the gate down as it was preventing access to my property. If they wanted a gate they could put one across their front door as long as it didn't interfere with my access.

Could your landlord put an additional gate on your part of the garden to keep her dogs out. And she can't use it as storage as it is blocking your access.

The dog shit and bird table sound like separate issues. The bird table is attracting vermin so I think the council can make her take it down but double check with your council pest control department.

If you have been a tenant for 7 years your landlord should be able to help. I the meantime if her dog comes into your property knock on her door and get her to remove it and any shit it has left.

Freya15 Tue 08-Dec-15 18:48:05

Howtorebuild
Yes she'd rather our dogs fight, than simply closing her yard door and being responsible. Would of thought her attitude is a kind of neglect.

I've spoken to my landlord, who is prompt in helping to sort the matter.
He assures me he will go and talk to my neighbour. But...as he lived in my home previous to me moving in. He had the same issues with her, and always go unresolved.

However... I have been in contact with the local council. The alley doesn't belong to either property.
Awaiting a reply.
I've also spoken to my local dog warden who is going to access the situation.

ASBOS.....
Hahaha....in fact they do exist so I've been told for both dog and owner.

Thank you all for taking time to respond..

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 09-Dec-15 14:25:02

There you go then. Take steps to turn her into an official "Asbo Yob" grin

Rat poison would be hazardous to her dog wouldn't it....if the council lay it down, she won't have much choice but to keep it in the yard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now