Talk

Advanced search

Ultra small hall - what's in yours!?

(13 Posts)
WittgensteinsBunny Mon 07-Dec-15 17:11:13

We live in an Edwardian mid-terrace. You open the door, there is about a 1m2 area before going up the stairs or turning left into our front room. There is a door to the front room with a glass window above it. We had a lovely stained glass window made to add some colour. The door is always open as this is where we keep our coats. irksome. When we moved in we arranged for the fuse box / electricity metre to be moved so that there is just a plain wall. So it's a tiny entrance hall from which to answer the door or get tangled up with children, shoes, junk mail, just about shove a buggy through etc etc. There is a radiator and a door mat. I hate this useless space! What can we do to make it practical or beautiful? I've suggested a high up shelf and maybe a mirror or picture to DH so that at least there's something interesting in the space. I'm starting to feel a little angry at All the People in House Beautiful with lovely proper entrance halls and sideboards and original tiles. Useful and practical! And so pretty too. I feel this is an easy area to tackle due to smallness if only we could find the right thing.

So any suggestions for my micro-hall?

Blueprintorange Mon 07-Dec-15 20:26:29

No suggestions m, but watching with interest as I have the same problem!

gingeroots Mon 07-Dec-15 20:32:02

Maybe look in IKEA at their room displays ,they do a lot of very space saving stuff ???

Potterwolfie Mon 07-Dec-15 20:46:01

Our hall is teeny, it's 4ftx6ft and has four doors off it, to the lounge, study, toilet (which I hate being so close to the front door!) and front door.

We have the same flooring into the toilet and study which make the area feel larger, a small console table with one or two lovely things on it, a gorgeous lamp and above it, a large round mirror. We have a small painting on the wall too.

If kept pristine, it makes for quite a lovely shoebox of a space, but that means no shoes allowed, no coats, no clutter, no mail, and no dumped bags!

SquinkiesRule Mon 07-Dec-15 20:49:58

Mine was tidy once, for about 30 seconds it looked lovely.
It's a square, about 5 feet square, stairs to one side, Door to Living room to the other and hallway off to one side. We have a monks bench with a matching coat hanging shelf above. It's covered in coats and bags, and there are shoes everywhere.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 08-Dec-15 13:40:27

DH's bike mostly Mon-Fri as he commutes to work on it.

V narrow Victorian terrace hallway. There's no space for anything without it looking like untidy jumble of shit so all coats etc are under the stairs.

If there's a recess then maybe a shoe cupboard but if it's all straight lines then other than some hooks for soaking wet coats, I'd clear it out completely.

CherriBlossim Wed 09-Dec-15 09:34:43

We have this www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-low-shoe-storage-cabinet-oak/p231130565

It's great - means no shoes lying about and there is a shelf on top which holds keys, umberellas, DH's spare change! etc. Very slim and unobtrusive.

Cressandra Wed 09-Dec-15 23:31:18

Ours is tiny too. We tried slim ikea shoe drawers but the kids didn't use them and they broke. The space is way too narrow for any commercially available storage bench type thing.

So i decided we needed old fashioned shoe cubbies - pigeon hole style so uber easy to use, but with a solid top to hide the shoes a bit and cut down visual clutter, and make a bench. I had them made for around £150. I also commissioned a rock solid coat hook thing with shelf above, with tonnes of double hooks, and a smaller set of hooks to put at kid height. Coats and bags are hung, hats & gloves live in a lidded basket on the bench.

The shoe cubbies were planned to the cm and have space underneath for an extra line of shoes. They are technically undersized - the furniture maker thought it was designed for children - but we all have smallish feet and it was a question of compromise. In my head we'd put a cushion on the bench, but we're still working on clearing the clutter! It's not perfect, we are still messy, but now I feel it's working for us, not against us.

We still need to swap the radiator for something less manky and put in some bulletproof wooden-ish flooring. Any recommendations, anyone?

iPaid Thu 10-Dec-15 04:41:47

Some beautiful floor tiles from Fired Earth

iPaid Thu 10-Dec-15 04:44:50

Like these

iPaid Thu 10-Dec-15 04:56:25

Paint walls in beautiful colour and add a mirror like this

iPaid Thu 10-Dec-15 05:12:10

If you want a console table the Dormy House has these

iPaid Thu 10-Dec-15 05:14:11

Whoops - I've used up my image allowance by accidentally posting the tiles twice! But if you go to their website they have nice shelves and console tables for halls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now