Talk

Advanced search

How much does it cost to sell a house, (and buy another?)

(11 Posts)
INeedACheeseSlicer Mon 07-Dec-15 16:01:18

Thinking mainly about estate agents fees. I know there'll be stamp duty too when we come to buy the next house, but at least that's easy to work out because it is just a percentage of the purchase price

Is there an online calculator that can help to work out how much of the value of your house you will end up with?

Say that I want to sell a property worth roughly 215,000. How much of that total is likely to be swallowed up in fees?

IfItIsntOkItIsntTheEnd Mon 07-Dec-15 16:05:27

Think our estate agent charged 3%. Solicitors allow £1k. Removals allow £600 to £1200...depending on whether you want packing/how much you have - more if going far. Budget for decorating / new stuff you'll need in new house - furniture, coat hooks, loo roll holders etc. All adds up scarily quickly!!

Wiifitmama Mon 07-Dec-15 16:10:37

We are selling right now. Our fees are only 1%. I think you need to negotiate. We had multiple agents wanting to take on our property. I chose one and talked them down to 1%.

sparkle789 Mon 07-Dec-15 16:31:43

We will be paying £999 plus VAT. It's normally a bit more but it's a December offer. Another agent offered 1.2% fees

Moving15 Mon 07-Dec-15 18:13:47

1 % in estate agent fees. About £500 for conveyancing just for the sale bit. About £600 for removals depending on how far you are moving to. About £200 to smarten things upp a bit with a lick of paint and fuel to take all the rubbish to the dump lol.

Buying is another set of costs!

Sparklycat Mon 07-Dec-15 18:27:50

I got 0.5% fee on our house sale, 3% is horrendous! I'd never pay over 1% so do some haggling. Get a solicitor who has a fixed rate for conveyancing and offers a no sale no fee in case your sale falls through.

BananaPie Mon 07-Dec-15 19:50:44

Last time we moved, it cost about £18k - selling a property of similar value to yours. Estate agents, solicitors (pay for selling and buying conveyancing), stamp duty, removals. It's an expensive business!

Sparklycat Mon 07-Dec-15 20:18:47

Gosh 18k is a lot for buying and selling! We did it 6 months ago and spent around 8k.

MummaGiles Mon 07-Dec-15 20:25:37

Nationwide has a good online calculator to help you work out how much you should expect to pay out when moving.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Sat 12-Dec-15 16:42:27

We've just sold a 100k house and bought a 210k house. In total it's costing us roughly 7k - that's estate agents, all solicitor fees, stamp duty, moving costs and an additional 1k in to get our deposit to 10k. We're in the north west - not sure if that has a bearing on costs.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Sat 12-Dec-15 16:42:54

Not 10k - 10%

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now