Talk

Advanced search

sockets and switches

(8 Posts)
toodarnhilly Sun 06-Dec-15 12:26:03

Just at the start of a rewire and need to pick sockets/switches, dithering between plain white and a bit fancied brush chrome.

In our old flat (rewired just before we moved in) we had really nice matt chrome ones - I can't find ones exactly like these and probably couldn't justify the extra cost.

We can afford the sort of midrange ones- matt chrome with a little qhite insert round the plug holes -but wondering if it's worth it or am I just now spoilt b the fancy ones in previous home.

So anyone care to offer opinions on sockets? What did you pick and why?
<will be amazed if anyone joins in, but DH now glazes over when I mention it>

ishouldcocoa Sun 06-Dec-15 12:31:30

We used these guys - very good quality. Even Kate and Wills agree...
Wandsworth Group

HTH

BasinHaircut Sun 06-Dec-15 13:39:04

Personally I don't see how a fancy socket does anything more than a basic one so if just get the white ones. The chrome ones always look dirty to me, because of all the fingerprints etc

toodarnhilly Sun 06-Dec-15 18:09:03

Thanks both, there are some lovely sockets on that site Cocoa, given the royal pedigree I doubt we can justify the extra cost.

I think white ones are a not more.neutral just because theye are normal. Our old ones never looked dirty to me, maybe the matt aspect helped.

This is why people hire interior designers, so someone else can become obsessed with sockets

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 06-Dec-15 18:15:59

Don't forget to get a few with USB outlets too while you are at it !! smile

PigletJohn Sun 06-Dec-15 18:17:53

White plastic.

Good brands are MK, Crabtree and MEM. There are also quite a few cheap brands around.

If you choose a fashionable style today, it will look very dated in a few years. Remember brass "Victorian" style with decorated borders?

Your electrician will not thank you for choosing some weird brand made in Thailand with frail little terminals or fragile switches.

toodarnhilly Sun 06-Dec-15 18:43:28

Thanks piglet, we went to visit the electricians preferred wholesaler so hopefully whatever we pick is at least a brand he's comfortable with.

Veering back to white plastic, and yes we have specified at least one USB socket in every room smile

RCheshire Sun 06-Dec-15 22:55:26

GET white metal (e.g. GU3220WPW). Not a fan of chrome/brushed metal etc looks but wanted something a little smarter looking.

Very thin so the walls have to be very flat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now