Advanced search

Window Shutters

(11 Posts)
RudyMentary Sun 06-Dec-15 11:25:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RudyMentary Sun 06-Dec-15 19:02:33

WandaFuca Sun 06-Dec-15 20:14:53

Why is he so against window coverings? That would give us some clues about how to suggest convincing arguments. wink

I have tier-on-tier plantation shutters. In my opinion, they are very effective and look good. When they are fully open, they aren't very noticeable. I can close an individual section, and angle the slats, depending on what I need at any particular time. For example, if the sun is shining on my screen, which it does at this time of year.

At night, I can fully close the lower sections, so passers-by can't see into the room, and I can close the upper sections but angle the slats, so I'm not completely shut in.

Providing you choose a fairly neutral colour, they don't need to be replaced, like curtains do, if you redecorate the rooms.

In terms of maintenance, they only require a wipe-over with a damp cloth every so often.

Does any of that help?

sparechange Sun 06-Dec-15 20:22:07

I also have tier on tier plantation shutters
Apart from looking fab, they are also amazingly insulating. The room is so much warmer since they were installed

I also agree that they are great for giving privacy while allowing natural light in.
Great for lazy days on the sofa - passers by don't have to see my PJs but I have enough natural light to read

And they are good for security. Partly by meaning no one gets a good look inside to case the joint, and also because they are a great deterant for jimmying open sash windows to gain entry
Totally anecdotal, but a couple of years ago, there was a spate of burglaries me where they gained access through front sash windows, and the police confirmed afterwards that houses with shutters weren't targeted. That was enough to convince my DH!

They are very low maintenance - we've got a shutter dusting tool thing, and they get a wipe with a damp cloth occasionally.

They aren't cheap though. One bay window cost us over a grand. I think it was worth it though

RudyMentary Sun 06-Dec-15 21:10:04

RudyMentary Sun 06-Dec-15 21:13:32

missymayhemsmum Tue 08-Dec-15 22:35:45

I have nifty bifold shutters in a bay window. They work well, keep the warm in, privacy etc and everyone asks if they are original when actually they are cheap plywood and batterns painted white. Cost about £30 and an afternoon's swearing till we got the hinges right

SymphonyofShadows Wed 09-Dec-15 16:05:18

I really like those in the photo. I would think they are the least 'window dressing' type thing you could get and would be great for security and warmth. I'm tempted to suggest this for our house as our ancient wooden blinds are finally on the way out.

Mydearchild Wed 09-Dec-15 21:02:31

I have just had cafe style ones fitted to my bay. Although they were pricey they are well worth it. We live on a road which can be a rat run and I felt over looked so these give us the privacy I wanted. Go for it!

RudyMentary Sat 12-Dec-15 15:22:10

AnthonyBlanche Mon 14-Dec-15 00:10:44

I've got original solid wood shutters in some of my rooms. They are excellent at insulating against both noise and cold. They close with a big iron bar so also make windows pretty much burglar proof. I would definitely recommend, but you might have to get a joiner to make them for you as I've never Come across a company advertising them in the same way that plantation shutters are advertised

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now