Talk

Advanced search

Leaking kitchen window

(7 Posts)
Debz09 Sat 05-Dec-15 12:19:05

Our window to the kitchen which is at the side of the house leaks in from top of the pane in th centre of window after it rains for a couple of days. We've had the roof redone as we thought it could be that but still leaking. Could it be the lintel or need repointing any suggestions?

PigletJohn Sat 05-Dec-15 12:30:42

Is it a plastic window?

How old is the window and the house?

Photos would help.

Debz09 Sat 05-Dec-15 12:44:29

The house was built in 1950s and the window, which is plastic , is about 3 yrs old if that. I've attached a picture my hubby has took

PigletJohn Sat 05-Dec-15 12:49:19

Picture of the outside please, showing the top of the windowframe, the lintel if there is one, the wall above, and the gutter above.

Debz09 Sat 05-Dec-15 13:20:47

Hope these are ok

PigletJohn Sat 05-Dec-15 13:37:24

The water might be coming from leaks in the bathroom or the pipework above.

However looking at the cracked brickwork above the window, and the gap on the inside, I think the window is badly fitted and has moved. The brickwork might originally have been supported by a sturdy wooden window frame and might lack a lintel. Ask around for a recommended local person who repairs double-glazed windows (there will be one) but not one of the window replacement companies.

If there is a dip in the top of the windowframe it is being crushed.

It is surprisingly easy to take out and refit a window.

You can see if the windows have a guarantee, but I fear it will be worthless.

EmmanuelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 05-Dec-15 15:05:31

Hi there OP, we're going to move this to the Property/DIY topic, where you'll hopefully get some more replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now