Talk

Advanced search

Thinking about relocating to Somerset

(8 Posts)
honeyandmarmitesandwiches Sat 05-Dec-15 11:32:46

At the moment we are living in Bucks which is where I grew up but struggling with, in particular, the house prices here (we rent).
Our in-laws live near Glastonbury which we like from brief visits, also Wells seems lovely. Can anyone tell me more about the area from a local's perspective about the general area and where is best to move to, particularly from the POV of young family? Schools, community feel etc. Thanks.

KitKats28 Mon 07-Dec-15 13:45:20

We've lived in Wells for over 20 years. We really like it.

Both our children were born here and so we've been through the local school system. There are basically two primary schools (one at either end of town) and where you live pretty much decides which one your children go to. There is also a Catholic primary if that is a consideration for you. The two main primary schools are pretty similar as far as I can tell. There is one state senior school and one fee paying one. Both my children went/go to the state senior school. They have both been fine there. The oldest has just gone to university and the youngest is in year 12.

Wells itself is a lovely little town (although it is a city, it's tiny). Everywhere is walkable, whichever end you live. There are a few chain shops (New Look, Factory Store, WHSmith, M and Co) lots and lots of coffee shops, some nice independent stores and four supermarkets (Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl and Waitrose).

There are very few properties to rent in Wells and they go very quickly. The range for a 2-3 bedroom is about £550-£700pcm. There aren't any bad areas to live, but the further up the Bath Road you go, the further it is into town. If you drive, the surrounding villages are nice (Dinder, Croscombe, Coxley, The Horringtons) but if you can't drive, be aware public transport is fairly dire and expensive.

It's an incredibly safe place to live (and I've lived in a lot of places). There isn't a lot for older children to do, but there seems to be plenty for younger ones and there's supposed to be a new soft play opening soon.

As I said, I love Wells and it's been a great place to bring up children. I would imagine they will move on to find a bit more excitement when they've finished university but I think most people who leave end up coming back when they have their own family. If there's anything else you want to know, just shout.

honeyandmarmitesandwiches Sat 12-Dec-15 13:41:41

Thank you! Sorry, posted and abandoned this. What about glastonbury? It's v new agey but lovely countryside and seems like really good value for what you get. I'm not that 'alternative' myself but probably just enough to get by (and not be too irritated!)... Then again am I just making assumptions based on all the shops selling spells, crystals etc and it's actually a fairly normal mix of people?

honeyandmarmitesandwiches Sat 12-Dec-15 13:45:40

Schools are probably the biggest deal to me, and finding somewhere that's not too posh, or too deprived, too big and anonymous/ industrialised or too small with nothing to do unless you get in a car. Sorry if that all sounds a bit silly or too obvious but I feel I want to put down roots in a place that will suit us as a family over the years.

NaiceVillageOfTheDammed Wed 16-Dec-15 21:05:01

Have you had a look at Frome?

Sunnyshores Thu 17-Dec-15 10:11:59

I like new-age and alternative, but Glastonbury is IMO pretty grim and isolated. Wells is much nicer.

Not such a desireable area, but if schools are your main consideration, look at Cheddar surrounds (Kings of Wessex, High Sexeys). Its still rural, yet not isolated and house prices are reasonable.

I wouldnt go any further West (Bridgewater, WSM) or North (Bristol area is so busy and much more expensive).

regretsihaveafew Thu 17-Dec-15 15:26:11

I personally would avoid Glastonbury like the plague and go towards Wells, a more interesting place with more going on and a better atmosphere.

Kitsmummy Thu 17-Dec-15 16:56:07

Glastonbury is pretty ropey, as are the schools and I echo the others about living closer to Wells...nice, safe, good schools etc etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now