Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for places to buy not far from London?

(17 Posts)
Kittyrainbows Fri 04-Dec-15 12:55:02

Soo..longtime lurker, first time poster and apologies if this has been done to death but the only posts I could find were a little out of date.
I currently work from home as a freelancer and the other half works in near Old Street. We're looking to start a family next year and want to get on the property ladder beforehand, but can't stretch to the crazy London prices. As I'm pretty flexible, it just leaves the commute to Old Street to be looked at, and he doesn't really want to do anything over 50 mins as he works such a long day.
I'm looking for something that has a bit of a small town or village feel to it with affordable housing (or more so than London) and a decent commute. I suspect this is probably the property holy grail which is why I can't seem to find it, but wondered if any MN'ers had any gems up their sleeves? I'm only really familiar with areas in Essex or North of London, so any suggestions gladly received! Thanks smile

Millymollymama Fri 04-Dec-15 13:09:27

Would the St Albans or Berkhamsted areas be on the right train lines? I would look around these areas. More into north Essex or Suffolk if the commute looks better from there. What London station did you want? That would inform my thinking.

LondonHuffyPuffy Fri 04-Dec-15 13:15:16

Look at places between Welwyn Garden City and London. The train from WGC into Moorgate takes about 50 mins then it's a short walk to Old St or one stop on the tube

Kittyrainbows Fri 04-Dec-15 13:15:50

Thanks! Anywhere around Old Street really or with easy access to Old Street tube station - London Bridge wouldn't be too bad.
I've seen that Crawley and some places around there have quite a good fast train into London...
Suffolk might be a good idea too, will take a look. Should have jumped on the ladder a lot earlier really but have never been in the position until now and London prices are sky high as usual...

Kittyrainbows Fri 04-Dec-15 13:16:27

Ooh hadn't thought of WGC thank you LondonHuffyPuffy.

Belleende Fri 04-Dec-15 16:25:15

I am going to bang the hitchin drum again. WGC I think us a bit on the dull side. St Albans loverly, but expensive. Berkhampstead is very naice if you like things nice.
Hitchin is 25m from Kings cross. You can change at finsbury pk for Moor gate.
You can get a three bed cottage with garden for around £325k.
It is a lovely little town, decent shopping, good food and pub scene. Picturesque without being prissy. Properly multi-cultural. Been here for just over 6 mos and I love it.
We looked at Essex as well, but the commute was generally longer and the trains seem less reliable.

KikiShack Mon 07-Dec-15 08:33:06

How about Epping? It's on the central line,goes into Liverpool St so easy walking to old St, very nice and villagey.

Cerseirys Mon 07-Dec-15 08:48:26

A colleague has just bought in Letchworth, which she says is one of the last places near London where you can get a decent 3 bed terrace for under £300k. Apparently it's a nice town too.

Cerseirys Mon 07-Dec-15 08:49:03

The commute to Old Street would be less than an hour too.

sjane03 Mon 07-Dec-15 09:19:03

Kent on the high speed line is possible too maybe.

fabulousathome Mon 07-Dec-15 13:49:15

Wanstead? What's your budget?

Oliversmumsarmy Tue 08-Dec-15 09:15:44

Used to live St Albans area, I don't know if it has changed but checkout how long it would actually take you to access the station in the morning. Friend lived in Wheathampstead and used to go from Radlett because it was quicker getting to Radlett in the mornings than trying to get to St Albans.

Radlett is lovely but v.v. expensive, Elstree is good, but again expensive. Aldenham is village like but has no facilities. Borehamwood is much better cost wise but doesn't really have the village feel

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 08-Dec-15 13:37:01

The Great Northern Line goes into Old St, from Welwyn Garden City and Hertford North. Dont know the outlying areas but it's a fairly good service from north london and well beyond

CityDweller Tue 08-Dec-15 19:37:47

Look at Essex villages this side ofColchester - train to Liverpool St from whence easy walk to Old Strreet. Friend moved to that neck of the woods recently and loves it.

HelloItsMeAgain Tue 08-Dec-15 20:03:56

Letchworth and Hitchin have pretty good links into KX or Finsbury Park/Moorgate. Baldock not as frequent a train is lovely too. Ashwell very naice (and ££) village close by.

HelloItsMeAgain Tue 08-Dec-15 20:04:15

What is your budget?

Kittyrainbows Tue 08-Dec-15 22:55:54

Awesome responses, thank you skips off to check them out

Our budget is about £300-£350 tops. Looking for at least a two bedroom ideally at the very minimum. I've not heard of Letchworth - will check that out. Wanstead looked lovely but was way over our budget sadly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now