Talk

Advanced search

Would you extend (small extension) into a tiny garden?

(5 Posts)
catbasilio Fri 04-Dec-15 12:26:19

My house is approx. 6m x 6m having 6m x 3m long kitchen/diner both facing the garden. The garden is also 6m x 6m size. Nice square with a lawn, flowers and relatively private.

If I add 1.5m x 3m extension to the dining part (making kitchen/diner L shaped), I could have sofa in extended bit and it would make one good spaced family room.

But then I lose 1/8 of already small garden. The current garden is too small for a trampoline or other big things anyway, so my other part of the brain thinks I am not really sacrificing much.

Is it worth it? Would this devalue the house?

Majority of the houses in the estate has the same size gardens.

lalalonglegs Fri 04-Dec-15 18:13:04

It is a small garden but, imo, it's only ever going to be a space you can put a couple of chairs and a table in so extending wouldn't compromise it that much, iyswim. I expect you would use the extension far more but, to mitigate its impact, I'd see if I could glaze both of the walls that look into the garden so there is more connection with it and the extension and I'd really work on the garden design to make sure it was a lovely space and didn't feel chopped up.

Sunnyshores Fri 04-Dec-15 19:23:48

thats a tiny extension, would it add what it costs in value to the house? and if all other houses have the same size garden it will detract - maybe not in value but in saleability - compared to the others. Not sure it would be worth the faff unless its something you desperately want.

Marmitelover55 Fri 04-Dec-15 19:46:03

Can you post the plans - might help with advice?

maryann1975 Fri 04-Dec-15 21:26:34

We only have a small garden because the house was extended into it before we bought it. We use the extra bit of house far more than we would have used the bigger garden. We are lucky that there is a bit of a field across the road and two of the dc are old enough to go and play on there by themselves if they want to. The weather in this country is so naff we are inside far more than outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now