Talk

Advanced search

Hate fridge - is a cold store the answer?!

(15 Posts)
Fluffywithteeth Thu 03-Dec-15 09:47:56

Has anyone installed a cold store rather than a fridge? I absolutely hate the modern fridges that are designed to have water running down the back and I wonder if getting a cold store (like the ones from the walk in larder fridge) are the answer? Or do you have a large fridge only fridge (I have a separate freezer) that you'd recommend? Thanks so much!!smile

specialsubject Thu 03-Dec-15 10:50:21

modern fridges aren't designed to do that. Yours is faulty.

patterkiller Thu 03-Dec-15 10:57:57

Do you mean water on the exterior of modern fridges or through pipes?

mumblechum1 Thu 03-Dec-15 11:00:22

My fridge doesn't have water running down the back. As SS says it sounds like you just have a faulty fridge.

DeirdreDoo Thu 03-Dec-15 11:03:50

Mine has some condensation inside and that runs down the back of it, into a drainage channel - is that what you mean?

Fluffywithteeth Mon 01-Feb-16 23:18:07

oops - sorry for radio silence - somehow i've turned off notifications! thanks all for your replies. Yes it's the condensation deirdredoo - but if anything touches the back it just goes instantly mouldy and then triggers it all to start frosting (which then melts and creates a load of water).....

Joskar Mon 01-Feb-16 23:29:10

We don't have a fridge because they use too much leccy and we are off grid. Cold store is the best thing ever. Food keeps for ages. Carrots don't go black, salad leaves don't go slimy, potatoes don't sprout or go soft. Miles better than a fridge. More space too so we can bulk buy.

Since having children we have got a wee gas fridge for the height of summer (Mid-May to Mid-Sept) because the kids drink milk and that's tough to keep fresh. We live quite far from shops and so it was a bit of a pest.

iminshock Mon 01-Feb-16 23:34:08

What's a cold store ?

SquinkiesRule Tue 02-Feb-16 13:30:58

I don't think you get that condensation and water dripping into a channel in a frost free fridge freezer. We never had that with my US fridge.

Joskar Tue 02-Feb-16 17:22:01

Just a large, well ventilated cupboard lined with shelves. Ours is on the north side of the house. It's in a porch with no heating. At first it was a touch inconvenient not storing food in the kitchen but I'm used it to now.

sacbina Wed 03-Feb-16 07:49:06

If you have things touching the back are you packing too much in there? There are lots of things that don't need to be kept in the fridge. Perhaps try taking some unnecessary stuff out? ?

BertrandRussell Wed 03-Feb-16 07:51:01

There's something wrong with your fridge- that shouldn't be happening.

BertrandRussell Wed 03-Feb-16 07:51:54

And who keeps carrots and potatoes in the fridge?

ABetaDad1 Wed 03-Feb-16 07:58:17

We had a cold store in our basement, built well before fridges were invented. It was freezing cold all year round. Being on the north side of the house where no sun ever shone, underground the moisture evaporating from the walls plus cold air ventilating from outside through special air vent you could open and close it was very effective for 9 months of the year

I thought about turning it into a wine store but definitely cold enough for food storage apart from milk during summer.

Artandco Wed 03-Feb-16 08:01:37

Our fridge has never done that.

Both fridge and freezer are built in under worktop and hidden behind built in doors. They have been there at least 10 years, and no issue of water running anywhere. Both frost free

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now