Talk

Advanced search

How often is too often to view house

(11 Posts)
notarehearsal Wed 02-Dec-15 09:34:23

Ive hopefully sold and have also had an offer accepted on a property. Everything going according to plan I believe. Ive viewed the house I'm buying twice, once with a friend and then offered the asking price. Ive had survey and electrical test ( old property)carried out. Now as the house is empty and quite rural Ive been up again a couple of times to peer through the windows just in general excitement I guess but I'd really like to go back and start measuring up for curtains etc. The purchaser of mine viewed twice and hasn't indicated they want to come again so my question is, how often is too often to go to the new house? The EA's are the ones who will be showing me in but they don't appear particularly helpful. I love the house, Ive got no doubts Im doing the right thing but this is a huge step for me and the first time Ive bought solely on my own

notarehearsal Wed 02-Dec-15 09:35:50

Need to add I'm quite greatly downsizing and Ive little idea what I'll fit into new property so would value some time there

Bearbehind Wed 02-Dec-15 09:38:16

A third visit to measure up isn't unreasonable at all, particularly as you are not disturbing people living there and the first 2 visits were before the sale was agreed.

Anything after that is probably pushing it so make a detailed list of what you want to check so you don't forget anything.

lalamumto3 Wed 02-Dec-15 09:38:51

I think it sends a very good buying message that you want to measure up for curtains, furniture etc.

It is probably the biggest purchase you will make, so think about it in terms of how often you look at other large purchases eg a car, furniture etc

Totally reasonable and sensible to me.

possum18 Wed 02-Dec-15 09:41:54

I'm an estate agent, it's very normal for a buyer to view twice before offering and once (or twice on occasion) after agreeing a sale before exchange to measure up..etc especially if the property is empty it's really no bother. I once had a lady who knew her onward purchase was vacant and started moving her garden furniture into the new properties garden before exchange, that was odd grin

MumCodes Wed 02-Dec-15 09:42:10

Seems fine to me, especially as the only people who will be at all inconvenienced are being paid to do this (EA).

specialsubject Wed 02-Dec-15 10:36:21

how much money are you spending here?? Take as long as you like. However as the agents won't want to do lots of repeated visits (they have to work efficiently) suggest one long visit and make a list beforehand.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 02-Dec-15 10:51:09

A third visit is completely normal, four is heading towards the boundary of a little overexcited unless there are issues with the survey and you are taking a builder around for example.

It's handy to measure the hallway properly and access points if you are downsizing as it's a total pain if you can't get large furniture or new appliances around corners etc. We had to book someone on moving day to pop out our sash windows to get our sofa in the house. DH never got his American style fridge happy days

notarehearsal Wed 02-Dec-15 10:55:18

Thanks so much all. I'll give EA a call shortly and go armed with tape measure. Thanks Treadsoftly Ive got huge sofas so that's a very valid point about the doorway.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 02-Dec-15 12:52:35

Bring a print out of the floor plan too so you can mark where the sockets are as that might change your mind about where to put furniture or send you to B&Q to buy a bizzillion 4 gangs

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Wed 02-Dec-15 12:53:47

I think the most we've viewed in person - as opposed to surveyor visits etc - is three times. The last couple of houses we've purchased have been vacant, so initial viewing was with EA (in fact we never met the vendor of our current house as he had already bought another property elsewhere), then we went back with family/to measure up a couple of times after our offer had been accepted.

We have also down-sized massively and have way too much furniture and stuff so needed to check where things would go especially as at one point we had 10+ sofas plus we were buying project houses that needed significant building work which we wanted to plan for. They were also both long distance moves, so no opportunity to pop by on the off chance.

In fact at the last house the vendors offered for us to move some items in between exchange and completion - not really recommended, but we had no lender to keep onside and we ensured we were fully insured.

Whilst I don't think three/four viewings is too many, we did once have buyers that seemed to think it was ok to keep popping in whenever they were passing - five/six times iirc - "we were in the area to check local schools, so we thought we'd stop by to check the ceiling heights" for example hmm We also made the mistake of giving them our mobile numbers and they proceeded to send countless texts querying the size of cupboards etc.......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now