Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What would stoop planning permission being granted?

(6 Posts)
Madblondedog Tue 01-Dec-15 10:41:03

We are starting to look to our rear extension starting once the loft is completed. The loft was done under building regs so I have no experience with planning permission so I was wondering what could cause it to be refused so I make sure it gets through straight away.

Its a rear, one story extension and will go between 3 and 4m out from where the current rear of our property is. It will be around 3m from our boundary with the neighbour and they have a similar extension (although not as far back, probably only 2m out and theirs has a flat roof). I'm hoping we can afford to not do a flat roof and have a pitch with a velux on each side of the pitch. Windows on each side of the new extension and an outdoor light on the back of it to light up our garden.

Can anyone see anything that could get the planning permission refused?

AlisonWunderland Tue 01-Dec-15 10:50:47

Neighbours' objections can carry weight , so before you get detailed plans drawn up, have a chat with your neighbours about what you plan.

Madblondedog Tue 01-Dec-15 10:59:30

OK, I've suggested we're looking at it so I will talk to them. I don't think it will impact either neighbour but if we're going to be pernickety one side could say they would have slightly less of a view but they keep those curtains closed anyway and it would be their extension that would lose the view.

The other side probably wouldn't even notice we'd done it.

How do you initiate the chats? We've only just moved here so I don't know them that well

JT05 Tue 01-Dec-15 13:31:08

No one has a right to a view, so that is not a reason to deny PP. Overdevelopment, damage to protected wildlife and traffic issues are usually reasons.

You can contact the Planning Officer at your Council to get free advice on the way forward. Assuming not a listed building.

namechangedtoday15 Tue 01-Dec-15 13:43:04

It sounds really straightforward. You could have a look at permitted development, you can (usually) go out 3m for a semi detached house, or 4m for a detached house, single storey, as permitted development (subject to what else has been done to the house). You don't need planning permission if it comes under permitted development.

Do you have a long back garden - how close will you be to the rear boundary? Is any part of the property going closer to a road? Those are the things off the top of my head that would stop a rear extension.

Madblondedog Tue 01-Dec-15 13:57:48

It will be 7m from rear boundary and not near a road. We've used permitted development to do the loft so we need planning for this.

It's not a listed building. Our builder thinks it will go through easily but I'm always cautious

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now