Talk

Advanced search

What colour sofa?

(9 Posts)
JadeFeather Mon 30-Nov-15 11:52:01

Hi all

Not yet a mum so would appreciate the advice of parents on here.

Looking to get a sofa. Will be leather for practical reasons even though I prefer fabric.

I wanted a neutral colour my preference could be a brownish grey ( think its called mink) or possibly a medium to dark grey. Im not keen on black or dark brown but I don't know whether i will regret not going for these later. Let me know what you think smile

Sunnyshores Mon 30-Nov-15 12:35:56

If you dont really like leather, then dont have it. With 2 DCs (and dog and cat), Ive coped with fabric sofas. They're a dark brown/red/beige pattern so I dont for weeks immediately notice any stains and just touch up when necessary with an upholstery cleaner. Ive only once needed to take the cushion covers off to wash it thoroughly.

gabbybaby Mon 30-Nov-15 13:14:44

We also have fabric sofas. We've taken the covers off I think twice in the 8 or so years we've had them, to wash them in the washing machine. Just don't get hugely expensive sofas - save those for when they're a bit older - and expect the ones you get now to have a limited lifespan smile. We're only now discussing replacing ours, after over 8 years.

JadeFeather Mon 30-Nov-15 13:22:53

Hmm I feel like leather is more practical. Ive seen how young kids sometimes like to
Shake their milk bottles. I let out my flat with a fabric sofa and it stank because of the milk. Don't want to have to wash covers all the time. Cleaning leather seems simpler. I'm just not sure whether the sofa HAS to be really dark.

JT05 Mon 30-Nov-15 14:44:25

We have little GCs and pale leather sofas. Everything wipes off easily. Take shoes off though, buckles scratch the leather.

MrBennOfFestivalRoad Mon 30-Nov-15 17:32:49

We need a new sofa and were considering fabric but after having children be sick on our leather sofa last week and being able to wipe off and then clean with Dettol wipes... are now going to stick with leather. Not sure about colour though, I like the idea of light/French grey but not sure whether it would go with cream walls/beige carpet and don't want to redecorate; otherwise, I guess that we'll end up getting dark brown.

ilovehotsauce Mon 30-Nov-15 17:38:14

Removal washable/dry clean covers, DD killed my white sofa in 6months of weaning. Our grey IKEA one is going strong I give it a scrub with oxy spray now and again.

JT05 Mon 30-Nov-15 18:27:24

MrBenn, we have a room with pale grey carpet, cream walls and curtains. All colours go together well. You have only to be careful of the shades you use. All pale tones work well.
Accents of navy and cream cushions work well.

catbasilio Tue 01-Dec-15 08:09:53

I am going to go for brown leather sofa but then going to throw a couple of grey fabric retro armchairs in the mix to avoid 'boring'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now