Talk

Advanced search

How much did you pay for your new combi boiler?

(50 Posts)
Wigeon Mon 30-Nov-15 09:09:29

So, our almost 18-year old combi boiler has finally given up the ghost and we are going to replace it. Our plumber (usually trustworthy) plumber has recommended one, but I just wanted to get a sense of the price people usually pay for a new boiler plus installation. I've googled but the prices vary wildly.

He is recommending an Ideal boiler because it has a 7 year guarantee. 24kw.

So, what did you pay for boiler and installation? Thanks v much!

IrenetheQuaint Mon 30-Nov-15 09:15:26

Watching thread as am in v similar position! Both heating engineers I've spoken to so far have recommended Vaillants, but hard to tell whether this is unbiased.

There are definitely other boilers with 7 year guarantees out there so I would be wary about using that as your main criterion.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 30-Nov-15 09:16:22

I think the size of the house makes a difference. So if you have a 3 bed with only 1 bathroom (so never the possibility of 2 showers running simultaneously for instance) then you need a different spec to say a 4 bed 2 bath house. I think you probably need to compare like with like before you can get an idea of whether the price you've been quoted is reasonable.

Wigeon Mon 30-Nov-15 09:24:17

We do indeed have a three bed with one bathroom. Boiler next to bathroom. Pressure does drop if someone is doing the washing up while someone else is having a shower, or if DH is trying to shave while I'm in the shower, but that's always a temporary thing.

We've used the the plumber for years and he definitely seems to know his stuff, and not want to rip us off (eg he's been out before, fixed the boiler fairly easily, and then not charged us anything, because it was quick to fix. Never charges a call out fee just to diagnose the problem). So I do trust him, but wanted to get a ball park idea of what other people have paid for their new boilers.

Irene - sorry to hear you are in the same position! We are without heating or hot water - gah!

evrybuddy Mon 30-Nov-15 09:28:10

We paid about £2500 4 years ago for a new Worcester combi and installation of a bathrrom we had bought.

Going on the price of boilers best part of £1K I would guess you'll probably be looking at £1500 ish ...

Wigeon Mon 30-Nov-15 11:17:19

Hm, he is quoting more than that...

Any other ballpark figures from people?

namechangedtoday15 Mon 30-Nov-15 11:32:34

Ours is going to be 4 bed 2 bath, builder suggested boiler would be between £1600-£2000 (he said Worcester) then £600 for some rejigging of pipes and installation.

buymeabook Mon 30-Nov-15 14:19:56

We paid just over £2k for a Worcester combi last year.

buymeabook Mon 30-Nov-15 14:22:02

Different installers mostly seem to work with particular brands, as they can offer extended warranties if they are a recognised installer.

Wigeon Mon 30-Nov-15 14:34:01

Thanks both. Apparently we do need some extra pipe thing because modern boilers needs some kind of thing major which our ancient one doesn't have. (You can tell I was paying attention when we was explaining this...). So that will bump our installation cost up a bit.

Buymeabook - did £2k include fitting? Or just the cost of the boiler?

nattyknitter Mon 30-Nov-15 14:39:46

My plumber quoted 1600 for new boiler plus installation. When I said I had a friend who could get me one cost price, he said he would charge 400 for installation.

As it was friend couldn't get the boiler after all, called someone else out for a second opinion and he tinkered with it for 10 mins and fixed it for 30 quid

I would be tempted to get a second opinion just to get a sense of prices.

LuciaInFurs Mon 30-Nov-15 14:48:50

I've just bought a house and the sellers paid £2556 for a Worcester combi boiler in December 2014, this including fitting and VAT. The boiler was fitted in the same space as the old one and using an existing flue hole and the existing pipe work was adapted. They had £125 off as the engineer was late. HTH!

Iwasbornin1993 Mon 30-Nov-15 14:50:06

Just about to move into the house we're buying and need to replace the boiler straight away. Been quoted between 1600 and 2k by three different plumbers (OH likes to be precise!) and that's for a Worcester with installation. No extra pipe work etc needed, and it's a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom.

sharoncarol43 Mon 30-Nov-15 14:52:16

3k a year ago, Worcester boiler, fitting and new flu.

LuciaInFurs Mon 30-Nov-15 14:53:28

Should have added that the house is a three bed, (four if you count the loft conversion) with one bathroom.

Cookingongas Mon 30-Nov-15 15:00:27

I'm biased. I'm a plumber. But I pay around £800 for an ideal once I add in additional pipe work, magnaclean, etc. ( and your plumber is right they have a good warrantee and are easy to for. I imagine he's either needing to add a plume kit as the flue will be badly positioned or a condensate pump - both of which will knock to the price up about £100 for him.

After the cost of boiler I usually charge 150 install if it's like for like 250-300 of it's an awkward 2/3 day job.

Ps - Irene- vailant are brilliant top of the range boilers. IMO they deserve equal rep to worcester - the only reason they haven't is because Worcester had Bosch and British gas behind them when building up.

confusedandemployed Mon 30-Nov-15 15:04:00

I think we paid £1500 for a Baxi almost 2 years ago, Inc fitting. It has, I think, a 9 year warranty.

Thecatknowsshesboss Mon 30-Nov-15 15:05:33

We've just had the Ideal boiler with 7 year guarantee installed, with new radiators for all of the rooms, it cost just under £2500. A month in its wonderfull so much better than 20 year old boiler!

buymeabook Mon 30-Nov-15 15:54:10

Wigeon, that included installation, the magnetic trap thingy, system flush, VAT etc.

buymeabook Mon 30-Nov-15 15:55:01

Cookingongas, you only charge £150 for the installation? Seems cheap!

Cookingongas Mon 30-Nov-15 18:24:19

BUYME- yes it is cheap. But it's my opinion that for a days work £150 is pretty good ( great if I had an install every day in fact) I'm in a very deprived area of the country- my costs are lower and my customers are poorer, if I were in se England my rates would be higher

GoneAndDone Mon 30-Nov-15 18:28:53

£2750 last year to swap an old conventional boiler to a Worcester Bosch combi and two new radiators, a wireless thermostat and the fitting of new sink and bath taps. 3 bed 1 bathroom house, in outer London.

gingerdad Mon 30-Nov-15 18:34:21

We swopped ours and moved it a new position Worcester Bosch one. Was around 1800

Wigeon Mon 30-Nov-15 19:01:35

Thanks very much all, this is v useful. He's quoting £2950 for Ideal Logic Plus 24kw, which is really rather expensive given the figures on this thread. But he's been really honest for the last 6yrs (and friends who use him have always been really happy), so I'd be surprised if he's ripping us off. Have asked him for a breakdown of the quote because the boiler itself seems well under £1k from a quick google.

twirlypoo Mon 30-Nov-15 19:21:55

cookingongas you aren't in the north east are you? Sorry for derailment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now