Talk

Advanced search

Garage conversion advice

(6 Posts)
wowfudge Sun 29-Nov-15 17:46:41

We've seen a house we like which has a partial garage conversion - as in door replaced with wall and window. It has a concrete floor and is integral so there is a bedroom above it. What work would be needed to make part of it a proper room? We're thinking the rear could be partitioned off as a utility room and have the front as a reception room. It has power and there's a water supply.

wowfudge Sun 29-Nov-15 19:47:51

I should probably clarify that we know it will need to be insulated and plasterboarded. Wondering whether the floor will need insulating, for example? There is a step down into it from the kitchen so there is space.

TheLesserSpottedBee Sun 29-Nov-15 20:37:18

You would ideally bring the floor level up to the same as the kitchen, so insulation then floor boards on top (we had massive plyboard/chipboard sheets) then whatever flooring you want on that.

We partitioned the rear of ours off (double garage) so it has storage all the way across the back with a firedoor into the storage space. The boiler is also housed in there and a door to the back garden.

Utility wise you would need to find a way to drain any washing machine/sink so either utilise what you have outside or use the same pipes for something on the other side of the internal walls to the garage.

You will need building regs and you may need planning as a change of use, because it isn't clear whether the current owners have sought this.

Whatever the basic insulation requirement is go above and beyond.

wowfudge Sun 29-Nov-15 20:53:25

Thank you - that's helpful. We have a second viewing lined up so will look more closely at what is there/what needs doing. I feel a list coming on!

SheSparkles Sun 29-Nov-15 21:06:57

We converted our garage about 8 years ago and only needed a building warrant (Scotland)
The thing the council concentrates on was insulation-I think we had to have 150mm, but that may have increased by now. We have it as a second living room and it gets used just as much as the original living room

wowfudge Mon 30-Nov-15 07:43:37

I checked on the local council website last night and planning permission is not required unless there is any sort of extension. Building regs are required though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now