Talk

Advanced search

Boiler in Bedroom

(20 Posts)
SadLass Fri 27-Nov-15 16:00:57

Hello,

I wonder if someone could give me an opinion on whether installing a boiler in my bedroom is this a total no-no?

The flat I've just bought has a 1970s boiler which needs replacing. The problem is that the existing flue doesn't meet current regulations, because it's jammed between an iron drainpipe and a windowsill.

I trust my plumber, and he's given me two options. The first option is to move the boiler back into an internal hall cupboard, but this would demand a more expensive flue (£700!) and the pipes would still have to be fed through a corner of my bedroom ceiling to reach the back wall.

Or I could put the boiler into an internal bedroom cupboard. This option is £700 cheaper and there's no weird piping, but I know a lot of people have a problem with boilers in bedrooms.

What do you think? £700 is a lot of money to me, but I don't want to devalue the property by installing the boiler into a location which future buyers would hate. I'm assured that the new boiler will be very quiet. It's a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 832 combi boiler.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

LucyMouse Fri 27-Nov-15 16:02:47

If there was enough space in the bedroom I would go with that option.

Mouthfulofquiz Fri 27-Nov-15 16:03:42

We have had a new one in a bedroom (it's where the old one was!) and it's fine. New ones are so quiet that it doesn't disturb the baby like the old one did!

SadLass Fri 27-Nov-15 16:06:38

Thanks LucyMouse and Mouthfulofquiz - that's really helpful. My friends all acted like I was going crazy for considering it, but I think they might just have older and noisier boilers.

Bunbaker Fri 27-Nov-15 16:09:47

You might like to read the gas boiler regulations on here - point 8

batshitlady Fri 27-Nov-15 16:57:36

I'd go for the bedroom option too OP. You can get it boxed in. Get a carbon monoxide alarm and you'll be fine. they're not noisy.

Bunbaker Fri 27-Nov-15 16:59:03

Our boiler is 4 years old, it is in the kitchen and it wakes me every morning.

Cookingongas Fri 27-Nov-15 17:12:57

Bun baker- that applies to cat a or b appliances. The op is considering a new boiler which will be a category c room sealed appliance. Entirely allowed. Though a co monitor is advisable.

As long as you trust your plumber to do a good job - ensuring safety when commissioning and sealing the flue inside and put there is no problem- on fact it's now very commonplace , particularly in terraces where the new boiler is typically put into the airing cupboard where the tank previously sat, more often than not in a bedroom.

specialsubject Fri 27-Nov-15 17:21:37

there's as near as possible no safety risk if it is correctly installed; it is room sealed and fail safe. A CO detector would be a third line of defence.

the only possible issue is noise if you are a light sleeper.

PigletJohn Sat 28-Nov-15 00:05:34

Are you going to live in it yourself? If you want to rent it out or resell, a boiler in bedroom will be viewed with disfavour.

I expect it will be a combi, so annoyingly noisy every time someone runs a hot tap. It will also be (not so noisy) when heating the radiators. In a single-occupancy home it will be tolerable. Otherwise, not.

Why is the kitchen ruled out?

Remember that a flue does not have to vent where it goes through the wall. It can be extended upwards or sideways to take it away from windows and other openings. With modern condensing boilers the flue gases are no hotter that a teapot.

Fingeronthebutton Sat 28-Nov-15 00:42:21

I've had two in a bedroom, never again.

Solo Sat 28-Nov-15 00:47:06

I don't have a problem with mine in a bedroom.

FishWithABicycle Sat 28-Nov-15 06:37:36

We have a new (room sealed and safe and behind a cupboard door) combi boiler upstairs - not in our own bedroom but in the guest bedroom/study. The sound in the room when the hot water comes on is quieter than the sound of a passing car on a nearby road through double glazing. If you are lying awake you might be aware of it but it's not going to wake anyone up (or if it did it would only be someone who sleeps incredibly lightly and would be guaranteed to be woken by something else anyway)

The sound of the boiler

Rosa Sat 28-Nov-15 06:50:24

Even if you are fine with it potential renters or buyers might not be even if it is the latest silent model. Mine is a larger boiler and was top of the range 5 years ago . It only makes a noise when it kicks on and it is pretty quiet when on but I wouldn't put it in a bedroom.

FinallyGotAnIPhone Sat 28-Nov-15 07:56:52

Everyone is different aren't they though- for me, a boiler in the bedroom is enough to put me of renting/buying the house (even though I appreciate its safe etc etc)

jevoudrais Sat 28-Nov-15 20:46:39

It would put me off. Largely because I would know there was a reason it was in the bedroom eg. Moving it would be difficult.

Our boiler is less than two years old and in the kitchen. Our bedroom is above it and it wakes me up when the heating comes on.

If you have a five bed property or the bedroom is more of a study than a bedroom eg. Might not be a main sleeping room I would be less bothered. Here we have two good sized doubles and I wouldn't want to have a boiler in either of them.

Seeyounearertime Sat 28-Nov-15 20:53:32

I wouldn't have a home with boiler in bedroom. I know you can seal them and have alarms etc etc but I wouldn't trust my LO would be safe.

specialsubject Sat 28-Nov-15 22:21:03

CO can spread through a house so the actual position of the boiler doesn't matter. And adults matter just as much as kids.

but the noise concern is perfectly valid.

TrinityForce Sat 28-Nov-15 22:23:16

I don't have a problem with the boiler in my bedroom either. I DO have it serviced yearly though, to ease any concern.

My worry has always been it exploding boiling water over me, not CO2... Have I been worrying over the wrong thing?

PigletJohn Sat 28-Nov-15 22:43:05

If it is a modern unvented boiler (has a pressure gauge), it has a pressure release valve which, in the event of increased pressure, squirts hot water through a pipe behind the boiler, which goes through the wall and is bent back so the hot water squirts against the wall rather than going over passers-by. This relieves excess pressure, and the boiler will then go out and not relight.

It also has an overheat thermostat which turns it off if the boiler gets too hot.

it is very unlikely to explode or to boil.

it also has a pressure seal to prevent gases escaping into the room, and the flue is not allowed to be close enough to any opening in the wall to allow fumes to blow into the house.

When it is serviced, once a year or so, or in a rented home, for the landlord's certificate, these points will be checked. The exhaust gases will also be tested to verify that it is burning cleanly and not producing appreciable CO.

CO2 is not poisonous.

You can get a CO monitor, rather like a smoke alarm, if you have reason to think you need one.

If it is a very old boiler, it might have a steel flue that could be rusty and leaking, or seals that are worn out, so old boilers are sometimes condemned as unsafe after inspection. If it is very old but in good condition, and regularly maintained, it should also be safe.

Vented boilers and stoves (no pressure gauge) can very rarely boil over into the small loft tank, you will hear them bubbling and banging very noisily if that happens. The loft tank has an overflow pipe to the outside. As such boilers are often old (but are still made, to modern standards) you ought to look out for such unexpected events and seek professional advice. Some noises are not so worrying.

Some people use the word "boiler" wrongly, to mean a hot-water cylinder, which is quite different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now