Talk

Advanced search

House in London

(32 Posts)
dotnet Thu 26-Nov-15 14:58:55

That's the idea - a move from a three bed mansion flat in Hackney to a house; whereabouts in London, no decision made yet! Basically (I'm trying to help someone out here) - it's suggestions on houses in OK areas, price up to about £550,000, which are wanted.

I now send this message to the wonderful Mumsnet oracle. Thanks so much!

silversixpence Thu 26-Nov-15 15:08:17

Where do you need to get to for work etc, do you have children that need to be in schools? we're in zone 4 SE London, some nice houses in the area in that budget and still within reasonable distance of central London for work.

dotnet Thu 26-Nov-15 16:21:42

Thanks silversixpence... looking to change job, so location of new employment is in the lap of the gods, but probably central London or the city. Being handy for central London would be ideal, but if not, good public transport and not too long a commute... fed up of leaseholds, hence the desire for a house. Where are you?

dotnet Thu 26-Nov-15 16:23:11

p.s. No, no need to worry about schools.

sparechange Thu 26-Nov-15 16:24:20

Layton or Laytonstone?
Not a million miles from where you are now, and good transport links?

FruVikingessOla Thu 26-Nov-15 16:44:16

I think that would be Leyton or Leytonstone, East London?

Layton is in Blackpool.

Tiisha Thu 26-Nov-15 16:47:50

You wouldn't be able to afford the nicer parts of the above areas with that budget but may get something outside of these within the same postcodes. Your money would go further in the North London suburbs such as Harrow-on-the-Hill

Wombat87 Thu 26-Nov-15 16:53:30

Forest Gate/Stratford. 12mins on overground to Liverpool st

dotnet Thu 26-Nov-15 18:06:25

Hm, that's interesting. Leytonstone, Forest Gate and Stratford are all being thought about. I'd thought Stratford was THE PITS, but I'm told that, since the Olympics, what with the Olympic Park and everything, Stratford is a perfectly OK or even nice place to live?

Tiisha Thu 26-Nov-15 18:46:41

Stratford has good shopping facilities, obviously, but still a dire place to bring up children if you are planning for that. It is being reclassified as zone 2/3 apparently which may mean a cheaper commute and is now good enough for young professionals in terms of social life and good transport links. As an area to invest in, it hasn't really delivered despite the massive amount of funding poured into it's improvement.

Pamela01x Thu 26-Nov-15 20:58:05

Walthamstow?

Wombat87 Thu 26-Nov-15 21:26:58

East London will never be west London. But it's got some good bits and bad bits. I personally don't like Maryland. It's not a nice feel. Forest Gate around the Wansted Flats area is lovely. Leyton is very communal and safe also. I've lived in both. Forest Gate is my favourite, and with cross rail coming in, shouldn't loose value any time soon

mayhew Thu 26-Nov-15 21:31:40

Highams Park. On the Chingford Liverpool St line (via Hackney Downs and Clapton to see old friends....), every 15 mins, Zone 4. Also close Walthamstow but more house ( lovely big Edwardian) for your money.

Tiisha Fri 27-Nov-15 07:45:25

The big edwardians are way out of the OPs budget in Highams Park but she would get a mock tudor semi.

dotnet Fri 27-Nov-15 10:39:32

Thanks, Tilsha, Wombat, Pamela, mayhew, all of the things you're saying are worth thinking about. London is just so B-I-I-I-I-G, it's really good to get some pointers as to areas which might be worth investigating, as it'll save a lot of headaches and wasted time tramping around areas which won't work.

PettsWoodParadise Sat 28-Nov-15 09:45:28

Petts Wood is a lovely place to live, lots of London destinations but very suburban so may not suit all. I love it. 22 mins to London Bridge, oyster zone 5, trains also to Charing Cross, Cannon St, Victoria and Blackfriars. Example not the best as it has bathroom on ground floor but gives you an idea of what you can get for your money: www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49403509.html

helentheheron Sat 28-Nov-15 18:58:55

I'd recommend having a look around Leyton. You could get a 3 bed victorian terrace for your money and the transport links to the city are great. The nicest bits are around Francis Road in Leyton - nice cafes, pretty houses, close to the fun stuff on Leyton High Road.

Leytonstone is also good but the nicest bits (upper Leytonstone/bushwood etc) might be a bit too expensive.

jillymill Sat 28-Nov-15 20:50:10

You could get a decent 3 bed house in Clapham

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55056536.html

or you could stay in Hackney

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55277354.html

another Hackney house

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52878512.html

or Harringay

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47537594.html
another Harringay one
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37774773.html

Sophia37 Sun 29-Nov-15 09:57:21

Hi, we are moving from a flat in Kentish town to a house in Wanstead. I feel really nervous as use to a cosmopolitan mixed area, really worried that we are going to wish we stated in North London. Has anyone made a similar move?

Tiisha Sun 29-Nov-15 10:13:25

Ooh Sophia, I do wish you luck. I have lived in Kentish Town so I can see why you are concerned but Wanstead has a similar ethnic mix imo and it's own charms, albeit suburban ones. I nearly moved to South Woodford but changed my mind before exchange and we are now based in Stoke Newington which was the right decision. Many ex Camden/Islington people seem to be living in Walthamstow Village. Did you consider it?

SuperFlyHigh Sun 29-Nov-15 10:18:52

Where I am is nice (crystal palace/upper Norwood) and has 3 bed semis but they've shot up now around £500,000 mark and because the box room is so tiny a lot are doing loft extensions/extensions downstairs.

But 25 mins to London Bridge, 30 to Victoria, crystal palace on ginger line to Shoreditch high street/Canada Water etc.

Lovely parks, shops, cafes, pubs, restaurants.... 3 brilliant markets, loads of vintage shops and local primary school won primary of the year I think last year.

cosmicglittergirl Sun 29-Nov-15 10:31:26

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38034168.html

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56148017.html

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55468988.html

cosmicglittergirl Sun 29-Nov-15 10:33:28

Those houses are all close to Blackhorse Road tube, 30 mins to Central London on the Victoria line or quite close St James Street which goes down to the city. And there are buses to Hackney!

Tiisha Sun 29-Nov-15 11:06:07

I would not consider Blackhorse Road area of Walthamstow, personally. It is undergoing regeneration but is at the very early stages of a slow process.

Sophia37 Sun 29-Nov-15 17:12:14

Thanks for the reply Tiisha. I have a 5 year old so one of the reasons we chose Wanstead is the schools. I haven't been to Walthamstow recently so don't know what it is like now. I remember being taken to the market as a child by my mum. I just feel really nervous...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now