Talk

Advanced search

Seamless flooring with wet UFH in some areas

(9 Posts)
gabbybaby Thu 26-Nov-15 09:23:50

Flooring dilemma for all of downstairs. We have a large hallway, separate lounge, then hallway opens up to large open plan kitchen/dining/living area. We would like something that looks seamless downstairs, so ideally the same flooring throughout hallway, lounge and open plan area. But we're having a dilemma. Ideally, we prefer wood (which we have currently in hallway & lounge, but is being pulled up as part of the extension and works being done), but replacing with wood again isn't ideal with the wet ufh. The existing part of the house will be the living area, the extension will be the kitchen & dining area, which will have the ufh. Ideally, we would have tiles in the kitchen, but how do we then make that seamless with a different flooring in the rest of the downstairs? Or do we not attempt to, as the builder has said he will do a nice join separating the areas where the flooring meets. But the kitchen designer is encouraging us to get wood effect tiles throughout the downstairs, which may look nice, but will be cold underfoot, and our lounge & living area both don't have ufh. Alternatively, do we get wood effect vinyl or laminate throughout the whole downstairs (but how is that with the ufh in the new parts?)?? Advice desperately needed as we need to order something within the next couple of weeks but have no idea how best to do this!

dynevoran Thu 26-Nov-15 10:34:20

I've seen some lovely ways to blend wood and tiles on pinterest. Let me take some screw shots and post for ideas. when I do a similar thing next year I'm tempted to use herringbone parquet flooringing in the hall and lounge and dining part of extension and then use tiles the same size as the wood also in a herringbone pattern for kitchen.

dynevoran Thu 26-Nov-15 10:39:33

Screenshots not screw shots!

dynevoran Thu 26-Nov-15 10:40:19

And a few more.

gabbybaby Thu 26-Nov-15 11:34:17

We would love parquet wood flooring but unfortunately beyond our budget. I think we need to either come to terms with have a join (which is difficult as it's very open plan, so no obvious line between kitchen and the rest) or accept a different flooring that will be warmer, but wouldn't otherwise be our first choice. I'm not sure that vinyl or laminate are most efficient with underfloor heating, so need to decide where our compromise will be - design or efficiency!

dynevoran Thu 26-Nov-15 14:08:35

You could have a join like my first or fourth pictures and make a feature of it. I know what you mean about how it is normally done with a bit strip over it and an uninspiring shape. The first effect is striking and whilst not seamless at all will let you get the best of both worlds with the type of flooring you go for.

Marmitelover55 Thu 26-Nov-15 18:33:01

I thought engineered wood was fine with wet ufh?

gabbybaby Fri 27-Nov-15 08:42:49

I think engineered wood is fine, but not ideal. Tiles are best. With wood, from what I've read, the maximum temperature you can set the ufh to is lower than with tiles, and they are less efficient at heating up quickly. But I don't know how the efficiency of engineered wood compares with the efficiency of laminate/vinyl. What's amtico/karndean like? They're the names I hear banded about all the time, but know nothing about them

Marmitelover55 Fri 27-Nov-15 14:50:32

A friend is having a poured resin floor with wet ufh. I have seen a sample and it looks amazing - pretty expensive I think though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now