Talk

Advanced search

Questions to ask double glazing companies

(5 Posts)
TrixieLox Tue 24-Nov-15 22:39:59

Hello, we've finally moved into our new house and first thing we want to do is get all the windows replaced with double glazed windows. I've got 3 companies coming to quote over coming week. Any advice / tips / questions to ask?

MoonlightandMusic Tue 24-Nov-15 23:04:32

Don't sign up on the day - it's always possible to bargain them down later on too! I assume they've already been around to measure?

Also, do some research on atest u-values, and therms etc., so you can ask them how theirs compare (have to admit can't remember the research I did - was a while ago, and just to understand the terminology).

Ask them about construction and have them show you samples - again there are some windows that are hinged in such a way that they are easy to break in through.

MoonlightandMusic Tue 24-Nov-15 23:05:47

or "...research on latest..." even blush

BackforGood Tue 24-Nov-15 23:24:12

Ask them if they will sign a promise not to phone you up about 38 times after you've told them they were rubbish and you'd never use them again and got them to promise to take them off your database, to ask you if you'd like some more work done.

No, not talking about you Amber Windows at all

Also ask them if they have their own fitters or if they contract out, and if they contract out, how they ensure quality of workmanship.

specialsubject Wed 25-Nov-15 10:11:45

how will they support the building while windows are out? Will they ACTUALLY support it? (the house was never quite the same after that...)

what about equal sight-line? This is well worth doing.

and yes, never sign up on the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now