Talk

Advanced search

Eek! Had offer accepted what now?

(7 Posts)
lizardqueenie Tue 24-Nov-15 16:05:13

Just had offer accepted on house I saw today- it's just for me & dd, post divorce, gosh it's been a along haul to get here- but fingers crossed we're here.

So I've not really bought like this before- my first property was a shared ownership empty house & then I moved in with ex DH before we bought our family home together but he dealt with it all.

Financially it's not cheap but within in my means but I want to keep a close eye on spending. What do I need to do about getting a conveyancing / solicitor? Of course I have my own divorce solicitor but that's different entirely.

What can I start doing/ getting ready. I don't want to count their chocked before they have hatched- my buyer still has to firm up her buyer but I would like to be organised if possible.

Also any advice if you move into somewhere where previous owners have been heavyish smokers? All carpets & soft furnishings will go- anything else I need to do?

Thank you all - I feel naive but excited for me & Dd! smile

Thecatknowsshesboss Tue 24-Nov-15 16:29:49

Good luck! See if your estate agent can suggest some solicitors names get 3 if you can then phone them and ask how much they charge as this can vary by a few hundred pounds. Alternatively ask friends/family for any recommendations of they've moved? I'd avoid on-line conveyancer's as they seem to get very poor reviews.

HeadDreamer Tue 24-Nov-15 16:35:11

If it's a nationwide chain they will recommend a conveyancer online. They are linked to the agents.

Do not use them. I had been burned first time round. Second time our agent is a local independent so has a list of local conveyancers. We still have to deal with the useless online outfit a house up the chain!

lizardqueenie Tue 24-Nov-15 18:05:33

Thanks guys- good tips re conveyancing. I've a lot of stuff to sort out/ get rid of- need to make a list of what ex DH wants etc, there is nothing really of value but I guess if I start getting rid of that now it will make it easier when I eventually move. Not sure whether to ask bit how did most people pay for stamp duty? Mine is nearly 10k on this property confused

SeasonalVag Tue 24-Nov-15 18:31:42

Hello op, we also had an offer accepted today.

We need to get proof of funds into the ea before they issue a memo of sale. This can be a random collection of statements or unliquidated investments. Then mortgage on writing, copy to ea.

Next we signed up to reallymoving.com which sends you quotes immediately for surveyors and conveyancers. They also include reviews of the firms and are protected by the property ombudsman.

Not sure what We do after that, think we wait for the results from survey. We were chain free btw, not sure if that changes procedure.

OurBlanche Tue 24-Nov-15 18:37:33

Once you have the legal side in place, think about what kind of help you will need for the physical move.

Self move --> packing/removal men.

If you can afford the fees then a removal firm that pack up your house can take away so much of the stress of moving.

www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/buying-a-home-timeline

HeadDreamer Tue 24-Nov-15 22:01:32

We just moved a couple of months ago.

For stamp duty, agent fees and lawyer fees, we take it out from the proceeds of the house we sold. If you haven't got a house to sell I would imagine you need to either pay it from savings or mortgage?

You will need to have a solicitor appointed as soon as possible. Also maybe see the mortgage broker recommended by the estate agent. That would give your agent the confidence you can afford the house. (I used HSBC direct for my mortgage but saw the EAs linked broker too). You don't need to apply for your mortgage until the chain is completed. Same with surveyor. I used an independent this time because a friend recommended one. Last time round I paid for the housebuyer survey with the bank's surveyor. It cost less to get the banks surveyor to do the housebuyer. So unless you have a recommendation I wouldn't bother finding a different person to do it.

For removal companies, I got recommendations from 3 people I know who have moved in the last few years. I used the packing service and would highly recommend it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now