Talk

Advanced search

Central heating/combi boiler in new house - help!!!

(9 Posts)
HereIAm20 Mon 23-Nov-15 18:17:55

Hi we moved into a new (old) house over the summer and we have a combi boiler (which I have never had before). I love that it means that we can get hot water all the time but am experiencing a couple of issues.

The thermostat in the house relates to the underfloor (plumbed in version) in the kitchen only and doesn't appear to come on unless you set the thermostat really really high. It is this that is linked to the timer setting on the boiler.

The radiators can only come on if you manually switch the dial on the boiler from timed to constant so we are in a position where we can only turn the heating on and off ourselves when we are in the house. Until now this hasn't been an issue but now means its freezing in the morning as we can't set it to come one prior to waking up or set it to come on prior to coming home later on.

A different worksman we had in for something else suggested that we could change the valves on the boiler to have 2 one for the underfloor heating and one for the central heating.

Finally the dial on the boiler dips into the red quite often and this same worksman kindly showed me how to repressurise the boiler by turning the vale on the boiler and the one under the cupboardb to bring it up to the correct level. However every couple of days I need to do this again. Surely that can't be right?

What does anyone suggest? Is it dangerous and urgent or can it be done at leisure? Any ideas on the cost of changing the valves etc so that the central heating can be on the timer too?

Sorry for being long winded. I await your wisdom.

Thanks

HereIAm20 Mon 23-Nov-15 18:19:00

excuse my typos

HereIAm20 Thu 26-Nov-15 17:36:28

Please any ideas? I am feeling unloved that noone has replied.

dotnet Thu 26-Nov-15 18:11:58

Hello - if you need to repressurise every few days it might be that something called the pressure relief valve is on the blink. That happened to my combi boiler a year ago, and when it was put right, it was a very quick job. I don't remember how much it cost but don't think it was expensive.

I hope you get to understand your boiler soon. I still miss one I had in a previous house which had a dial with 'pins' so it was really easy to see the timinigs I'd set. The one I have now involves button pushing and numbers racing round to set timings and I don't like it at all!

PigletJohn Thu 26-Nov-15 18:25:09

Loss of pressure means a leak.

Wet UFH has a more-complicated than usual control system, it mixes hot water from the boiler into the pipes to keep them warm. They should be on separate controls and timer to the radiators.

Ask around for a recommended and experienced heating engineer who is familiar with UFH. It is not for a tinkerer. Yours might or might not have been well-designed.

HereIAm20 Thu 26-Nov-15 18:25:43

Yes I had a "pins" one once and as you say its easy to see the innies and the outies! Hopefully I'll get it sorted soon. we are having the bathroom done and a plumber will be here Monday so I am going to see if he is Corgi registered or whatever the equivalent is nowadays and see if its something he could do. I was hoping someone could at least guide me into asking sensible questions rather than dub (brunette) ones.

Thanks for your help. I am now hoping its not going to be a big bill and you've made me feel better.

HereIAm20 Fri 27-Nov-15 09:23:24

Thanks Piglet John - I was hoping you might come on at some point. I'll get it investigated. Does that mean there is no way that I'll be able to get the radiators on a timer if the UFH is linked to the timer on the boiler?

PigletJohn Fri 27-Nov-15 09:32:25

UFH and radiators should have separate timers and separate thermostats. It should have been designed and built that way, but if not it can be added later.

HereIAm20 Fri 27-Nov-15 10:36:56

Phew! Thanks for your time - very much appreciated. You're not based near me by any chance (Cambridge!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now